1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

16 bit program on 64 bit Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by equus123, Jan 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. equus123

equus123 Thread Starter

As I've learned, my old 16 bit program won't load on my Windows 7 64 bit. If I install my "old" Windows XP, will I then be able to run the old program? Is it that simple?

2. mel8again

mel8again

You could install XP on a separate partition or on another hard drive and have a dual boot. When you boot up you would be asked which os you want to use.

3. equus123

equus123 Thread Starter

You mean I could install XP on an external hard drive (like my terrabyte), and then when I want to use that old program I would connect the terrabyte drive, use XP there? If I do it this way, I then wouldn't be chosing which OS to use when I boot up on the computer itself, right? The old program is an accounting program which is the only software I can't load on my Windows 7 64 bit. thanks.

4. mel8again

mel8again

Not sure about and external drive. Maybe someone else here will have knowledge about that.

5. bbearren

bbearren

Have you considered running XP in a virtual machine? I have a couple of programs that won't run in Windows 7 64-bit. I use VirtualBox from Oracle (it's free) and I've installed my Retail XP Professional there. After launching XP in the VM, I can then install my software that won't install on Windows 7 64-bit.

This eliminates the need for dual boot, finding drivers for your hardware for XP, and a number of other issues. Keep in mind that you must have a legitimate Retail XP installation CD to intall in VirtualBox.

6. matthewdownloads

matthewdownloads

Be aware if you install XP on another drive without disconnecting your Windows 7 drive it will overwrite the Windows 7 boot menu, meaning you will only be able to boot into XP unless you restore it (using recovery on the Windows DVD).

You can avoid this by installing Windows 7 x86 (32 bit version) on another disk since it uses the same menu and you won't have a problem.

If you don't have >4GB RAM you're probably better off with the 32 bit version for compatibility reasons anyway - it might be worth just doing a complete windows reinstall to make your life easier rather than dual booting.

7. equus123

equus123 Thread Starter

Before I try bbearren's suggestion, let me ask -- once I've installed my old software in a VM, can I then use it on my computer, my own hard drive? If it's only accessable to me in a VM, that won't work for me.

8. bbearren

bbearren

I don't quite understand the question. Yes, you will be able to use it just as if it was a physical PC sitting in the same place your actual PC is sitting.

9. equus123

equus123 Thread Starter

You might have answered my question, thank you, but let me re-phrase it anyway. If I successfully install the old program through Virtual Box with my Windows XP, will it be on my own computer, using Window 7, and therefore available to me without having to go through Virtual Box and Windows XP each time I want to use the program?

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Yes.

No.

VirtualBox is a program you install in Windows 7. You have to run it to "activate" the virtual machine, and then boot to the desired OS, and run whatever programs you want. In the attachment the foreground shows VirtualBox itself, just behind is XP running in VirtualBox, and behind that is the rest of my Windows 7 desktop with a little bit of this Firefox browser window showing.

Attached Files:

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1084518