1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

16 bit Windows Subsystem Error Message

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Miercaky, Sep 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Miercaky

Miercaky Thread Starter

I'm having trouble with my scanner, when I click on Twain I get a the message, "No scanner or other TWAIN image source found on the system."
    So I put my scanner cd in to redownload the scanner program and this is the message I get. At the top it reads: "16 bit Windows Subsystem" Then the message reads: "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXE.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS- DOD and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application. Then at the bottom I have a choice to Close or Ignore.

I was wondering if system restore might correct this problem ?

If not does anyone know what might ?

2. mtown_onsite

mtown_onsite

I had this issue a few weeks ago on one of my client's machines. I couldn't install several apps. The autoexe.nt file had been corrupted. I replaced it with a clean copy off another machine. Everything worked fine after that.

It might. :rolleyes:

3. StiKyVik

StiKyVik

Hi there

i also have this error message when trying to install AVG. Please could you elaborate on how to fix this please? How did you obtain a copy from another machine, and as a newby is this something i could do?!

thanks!

4. mtown_onsite

mtown_onsite

put in your xp cd
    from the command line type:
    expand D:\i386\autoexec.nt_ c:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt

5. StiKyVik

StiKyVik

(y)

Hi there - problem solved - much easier than i thought. Thanks very much - and thanks to Diamond Geez too!

6. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

StiKyVik, glad you got your problem sorted. We need to hear from the orginal poster prior to marking HIS or HER thread solved ;)

Welcome to TSG by the way :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/271143

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice