16 bit windows subsystem error when running older programs

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

PhiSigGirl

When I attempt to run older programs not specifically made for windows XP I have recently started receiving the following error when I try to install:

16 bit Windows Subsystem

c:\Windows\System32\autoexec.nt. This system file is not suitable for running MS-Dos and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

Then there are 2 buttons, one says 'close' the other 'ignore'. Both terminate the installation or the running of the program. I don't think it is an issue with the games, as there is at least one I could run before but cannot run now.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 1 (2600.xpsp2_gdr.040517-1325)
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.20GHz, ~2.2GHz
Memory: 254MB RAM

Hi PhiSigGirl,

One thing you can TRY... Right click on the old
programs "exe" file. Choose "run as". Then pick
Windows 95 (or 98).

That might work.

Right click on the program, properties, compatibility tab, place a check by box:
Run this program in compatibility mode for: and on the drop down,select the 95; 98 or whichever system the program was made for.

PhiSigGirl

No good. Run as only allows me to choose which user to run the program under and I am the only user available. I tried changing the properties to use windows 98 and that did not correct the issue either.

PhiSigGirl

Here is some additional info that may help. I don't have a c:\WINDOWS\System32 folder. I have a c:\WINDOWS\System folder, but no system32.

PhiSigGirl

I found the answer. Tidus2Una provided this lovely set of directions. It was under games, hence my missing it:
"C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications, Choose 'Close' to terminate the application"

There has been a few issues with an error regarding AUTOEXEC.NT. There is a few simple fixes for this error.

1) Navigate to the REPAIR folder in C:\WINNT or C:\WINDOWS. Copy the AUTOEXEC.NT file to C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 folder.

2) With the Windows XP CD in the drive, go to Command Prompt and type:
expand (cdrom drive)\i386\autoexec.nt_ c:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt

(cdrom drive) is the letter drive you have your CD-ROM assigned to. Usually its D:. If it asks you to replace it, click yes.

Microsoft's Support Website has this issue listed and has a similar approach to fix the issue.

Other files that may be affected are CONFIG.NT and COMMAND.COM. The procedure is the same for the two files.

Anything else, contact Microsoft.

Regards,

~ Tidus4Yuna

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online