1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

16 bit Windows Subsystem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by WebDad, Jan 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. WebDad

WebDad Thread Starter

Win XP Home SP2

I too am receiving the following error:

C:\WINDOWS32\AUTOEXEC.NT The file system is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose close to terminate the application.

I have followed the instructions in the MS KB article: 324767

I have run the xp_fix.exe from visualtour.com

I have copied the autoexec.nt file from C:\WINDOWS\repair\ folder and pasted it into C:\WINDOWS\system32 folder.

all to NO AVAIL!

My system appears to run just fine with the exception that the error message appears every time I boot. :eek: :confused: :mad:

p.s. I don't understand why I can't post the url to the MS KB article.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

That should fix the problem. Scan for malware with Ad-Aware, Spybot, and the MS Antispyware.

If you find anything with those scans that solves your problem, please let us know what it was.

3. WebDad

WebDad Thread Starter

As I said, nothing I have tried has worked.

It was after my weekly run of SpyBot that the error message started.

Where does one get the MS Antispyware?

In the meantime, I'll run SpyBot and AdAware once more.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

I have no idea what may be eating those files, but try making them read-only so that nothing will delete them to see if that helps until you can find a more permanent solution.

You can get MS' free antispyware beta here:

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx

If you already have Giant installed, use that instead until your subscription runs out. MS bought Giant Antispyware.

5. WebDad

WebDad Thread Starter

I ran AdAware and I'm astounded it found 40(!) new critical objects, which I deleted.

I then ran SpyBot again (2nd time today) and it found 5(!) DSO Exploit entries, which I deleted.

Next I downloaded and ran MS Antispyware which found 4 more(!!) that I deleted.

Finally, I re-booted and the error message is still there!

6. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

7. WebDad

WebDad Thread Starter

Yes, I read that thread through in it's entirety. I tried all of the suggestions as I posted earlier, but I still can't get rid of that error message. :(

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/324385

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice