1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

16 colors HELP

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by theberlig, Jan 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. theberlig

theberlig Thread Starter

I've searched the system for help and tried some of the suggestions offered, but I still can not change from 16 colors to 256. Any ideas on what i should do. i don't know if what i've listed below will help you or not. I don't really know where to start.

Operating System System Model
    Windows 98 SE (build 4.10.2222) VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8601
    Enclosure Type: Desktop
    Processor a Main Circuit Board b
    733 megahertz Intel Pentium III
    32 kilobyte primary memory cache
    256 kilobyte secondary memory cache Board: 601-686A
    Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
    BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. 6.00 PG 07/17/2001
    Drives Memory Modules c,d
    20.01 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
    18.77 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

SONY CD-ROM CDU5211
    Generic floppy disk drive (3.5")

WDC WD200BB-00CAA0 [Hard drive] (20.02 GB) -- drive 0, s/n WD-WMA8J1543377, rev 16.06V16, SMART Status: Healthy 248 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'BANK_0' has 128 MB
    Slot 'BANK_1' has 128 MB
    Slot 'BANK_2' is Empty
    Slot 'BANK_3' is Empty
    Local Drive Volumes

c: (FAT32 on drive 0) 20.01 GB 18.77 GB free

Network Drives
    None detected
    Users (mouse over user name for details) Printers
    Tam
    WORKGROUP domain logons
    Tam
    None detected
    Controllers Display
    Standard Floppy Disk Controller
    Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller Standard Display Adapter (VGA)
    Standard PCI Graphics Adapter (VGA) [Display adapter]
    Trident 9685/9680/9682/9385/9382/9385-1 PCI [Display adapter]
    Default Monitor (2x)
    Bus Adapters Multimedia
    VIA Tech 3038 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller (2x) Gameport Joystick (no joystick connected)
    Sound Blaster Pro or compatible
    Wave Device for Voice Modem (2x)
    Communications Other Devices
    Cirrus Data Fax Voice MDK1414EC2 [Modem]
    CNXT V92 PCI Modem

AOL Adapter
    Microsoft Virtual Private Networking Adapter
    CNXT V92 PCI Modem
    Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
    USB Root Hub (2x)

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you load the correct video drivers for the Trident card, you should be able to get the proper display attributes.

3. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    In Device Manager, is there any conflicts (indicated by a yellow or red mark next to the device)?

4. theberlig

theberlig Thread Starter

No conflicts

5. Flags

Flags

You might be able to find the drivers at Windows Update. Run it and find out
    Otherwise go to the Trident site and download them,

6. theberlig

theberlig Thread Starter

I'm working on the Windows update. We're only able to get dial-up internet service, so it takes a long time. I've tried the Trident site and end up at a dead link when i try to download the driver from there.
    Thanks for all your help. Now I know that I'm working in the right direction!
    Thanks again!

7. theberlig

theberlig Thread Starter

Ok, I've tried everything to update this driver- with no luck! What is my best bet at this point?

8. Flags

Flags

I found this for you.
    Windows 95 Trident 9685 Driver Here (http://backup.karlsforums.com/drivers/graphiccards/trident9685win95.zip)

Win 98 Driver Here (http://members.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=61022)

XP driver Links here (Unsure of Performance) (http://www.video-drivers.com/companies/1072.htm?acd=3&rvd=5&thx=9&bng=7&o=5)

You will need a username and password for the win 98 and xp drivers. You can use the generic login
    Login drivers
    Password all

They do really encourage signup though.

Xp and win2k should have the drivers onboard but I am not overly sure.
    Hope it helps

9. theberlig

theberlig Thread Starter

Thanks I'll try one. I was working on the computer last night, and everytime I tried to update the driver (maybe I didn't have the correct one), it was saying the most up-to-date driver was installed. So, if one of the drivers you sent does not work, what should i try? Get a new card?

Also, it looks like I have two monitors set up on my computer when I view the settings...but only have one.

P.S. Just letting you know that I can find my way around the computer, but I'm not overly "computer savy".
    Thanks

10. Flags

Flags

theberlig: Let's start at the beginning. Did you always have only 16 colors? If not, what did you do that changed your display to 16 colors? Does your bios show onboard VGA as disabled? Are you sure that you are using the Trident?
    You do not need a new card until we determine if your Trident is not working-a possibility, but, I think, remote.

11. theberlig

theberlig Thread Starter

First, let me say I purchased the hard drive to use as a second computer for my children. It was used, but reformatted (think that's right). The monitor, speaker, etc. were from an old system we used at one point (never had any problems)
    Anyway, I had to reinstall windows98 on the system and I THINK when I did, it changed to display 16 colors.

Did you always have only 16 colors?
    I can't honestly say we've not had only 16 colors, because I really didn't pay attention until we tried to connect to the internet. (it was only going to be used for school work,games, etc. - but not to connect to the internet)

Does your bios show onboard VGA as disabled? I don't even know how to check this. SORRY!

Are you sure that you are using the Trident?
    Sorry, I don't know. I ran several programs that were listed in other threads and I was told to download the trident driver?

12. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    When you turn the computer on, it when it goes through the memory test and all that, it normally has at the bottom "Press <Insert key combination> (usually <F2>, <F10>, <Del> or something like that) to enter Setup". You should be able to find it in there.

Sorry I couldn't be more precise, but BIOSes vary widely.

13. Flags

Flags

th: Are we talking about 2 computers here?
    One is the kid's and you installed a used hard drive in it and installed 98 on the drive and lost your colors to 16 bit.
    do this: Right click on My Computer and choose Properties. This will bring up System Properties. Look for Device Manager ( can't remember how you find it in 98) but it's there.
    Can you see any Yellow exclamation points or question marks. Where are they, or what device are they saying is broke?

14. theberlig

theberlig Thread Starter

Been away from the computer for a couple days - sorry - really appreciate your help, but decided if I didn't let it alone for awhile, I wouldn't have any hair left!!

''Sorry I couldn't be more precise, but BIOSes vary widely.

I got to the BIOSes area, but not sure what I'm looking for there? ​

Are we talking about 2 computers here?
    I purchased a hard drive/tower/everything except monitor. Only the monitor is from the kid's old computer.

Look for Device Manager ( can't remember how you find it in 98) but it's there.
    Can you see any Yellow exclamation points or question marks. Where are they, or what device are they saying is broke?

There are no exc. points, but there is a question mark: Other Devices: PCI multimedia audio device.

15. Flags

Flags

The: since you have had no luck with finding drivers for the Trident Video card, why not pull it out and use the onboard video?
    Do you have any CD disks for the motherboard in the kid's computer? Look for one that says something about Chipset Drivers, Video Drivers or just plain Drivers.
    Since you have a yellow question mark in Other Devices, PCI Multimedia Audio, you will have to install drivers for perhaps an Audio card or the onboard audio card.
    Hang in there.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/436657

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice