1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

16 colours?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wazetta, Nov 16, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wazetta

wazetta Thread Starter

I'm using a temporary monitor which is ancient. It's a philips pro 3cm9609 14". Can't find it listed when I try to use the hardware wizard. Tried to install as standard vga, but each time I reboot Windows detects it as a default monitor. I can't choose a display adapter that works. I keep getting a message that says it will conflict with other hardware if I try. I am stuck in 16 colour-mode, there is no compatible hardware shown in the list in the wizard. I have an intel 810 integrated chipset. Now I am lost and annoyed as I can't run many applications with lack of colour. HELP!!!

2. brianF

brianF

sounds like you need to reinstall your video card drivers and not worry about monitor drivers for the mean time.
    If you have the video card drivers reinstall them or download and reinstall from manufacturer.

3. wazetta

wazetta Thread Starter

I don't know what I have as far as video cards as concerned. I had a look earlier but didnt know what I was looking for really. I did the debug thing in dos and came up with ibm stuff, tried it in add new hardware but it wasn't too happy. Still lost I'm afraid....

4. brianF

brianF

Is your video card onboard, or do you have a addin card.

If your monitor connects near the top of the computer and not in the add in slots(pci slots)then you have onboard. Connects closer to paralell and serial port connectors???
    You can download the driver from here http://appsr.cps.intel.com/scripts-df/Product_Filter.asp?ProductID=178

If it connects to a card that has been installed in one of the pci slots in the back(there should be several, some with metal covers over them that are not used) then will have to try something else

5. wazetta

wazetta Thread Starter

cheers, but I've already been there and downloaded that, it won't work, it says there are conflicts with other devices. This is strange as it worked perfectly well with my other monitor(which is being repaierd at present). I just hope something will turn up!

6. brianF

brianF

You probably need to reboot the machine and startup in safe mode to install it. Don't beleive it will work in a normal boot

7. wazetta

wazetta Thread Starter

sorry to be ignorant, can you give me some instructions on how to do this? Thankyou.

8. brianF

brianF

Restart the machine, just after the memory count and before the windows loading message start tapping the F5 key for win95/the F8 key for win98, you should get the startup menu, from the menu choose safe mode. Once booted try and reinstall the drivers and then reboot.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/58754

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice