1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

16 GB space freed up after Vista SP1 installed!!

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by GEOFF, May 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GEOFF

GEOFF Thread Starter

A check of C drive after SP1 installed today shows 16 GB of space freed up after the install!! That was a pleasant surprise.............and all my stuff is still there in case you were wondering.
    Anyone else bother to check?
    G

2. sraets

sraets

3. GEOFF

GEOFF Thread Starter

That's possible. I am now down to 12 free GB of extra space with no real data added to the drive, so maybe that is the case as the restore points are made. I noticed that Recovery D drive is up to almost 6 GB in size and I think it was around only 2 after the SP1install.
    G

4. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    You need to have a look at the D drive and see what is being written there. There should be NO files saved there by you or any update.

5. GEOFF

GEOFF Thread Starter

The seven folders on D drive all seem to be around the date I got my notebook April 2007 or earlier in 2006. There are no files saved there by me or any update.

I am now showing about 7GB more space on C drive then prior to the SP1 update. I assume the D drive is for MS Restore and it seems to be using about the same size 5.75 GB of 10 GB. for the last couple of days.
    G

6. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    The recover partitions are for the "System Cover" which is provide by the OEM, NOT Microsoft. This will reset the machine to "Factory settings"

The "System Volume Information" is for the Microsoft "System Restore" command. This will restore the System settings from a given "Saved Point". This will NOT recover any deleted programs or user files, JUST system files and settings.

7. GEOFF

GEOFF Thread Starter

DaveA,
    Thank you for the explanation and your other assistance.
    G

8. GEOFF

GEOFF Thread Starter

From the initial 16 GB gain in disk space after the SP1 install, I am now down to a 5 GB increase in C drive disk space.....maybe it takes SP1 a little time to calculate things and get rolling. Things running very fast and smoothly though.
    G

9. sraets

sraets

I'm having more or less the same experience. I now have just 2 GB more than I did before SP1. The person who suggested that the pre-SP1 restore points are deleted upon installation of SP1 was probably correct. Now new restore points are being created, that space is filling up again. Interesting.

10. GEOFF

GEOFF Thread Starter

You are probably right. And now I have half a GB LESS than before SP1. The march down continues............yes it is interesting.
    G

11. sraets

sraets

If the march downwards goes too far, there's another thread in this forum (one I started) where someone gave detailed instructions on how to reduce the amount of space restore points take. I've copied them below:

"How to adjust disk space on Vista (in simpler terms I hope)

It's not really a problem, it's more like a setting that's set on Vista. Windows Vista does this to make "System Restore" points, in case you ever need to set your computer back to an earlier setting. You need to go to "Start", then "All Programs", then to "Accessories" then look for "Command Prompt." After you find it, right click on the "Command Prompt" and select "Run as Administrator." Give Windows permission to continue and then you must type in the following to see how much Shadow Restore hard drive space is being used:

vssadmin list shadowstorage

Just like that. The spacing between the words and everything. That's to check. Since you're saying it looks like your hardrive space is going down, I'm going to guess Vista has set your shadow storage hard drive space usage to like 20 gigabytes or so. That's fine, because you could change this space usage all the way down to 2 gigs! However, that's not a good number, you may need to shadow restore, and besides, you probably have plenty of hard drive space to use.

Whatever number of gigs it's using, that's up to how much it will go down. If it's set to 20, it will stop eating up your hard drive once it reaches 20 gigs. So now, if you want to lower the amount Vista is using for these shadow copies, this is what you type in Command Prompt. I'll use an example, setting 6 gigs as the MAXIMUM amount of space it can take:

vssadmin resize shadowstorage /For=C: /On=C: /MaxSize=6GB

Since it's taking space from your local disk C, you put C as the one for and on. Now if you don't want it to take 6 gigs, that's fine, you can put any number more than 2 gigs I believe, but this is completely up to you. I personally set it at 10 gigs, because it makes enough system restore points in case something happens. I don't suggest you put it at anything less than 6.

12. GEOFF

GEOFF Thread Starter

Sraets,
    Ok, thank you. I will see how much it uses and then adjust restore if necessary. I still have almost 100 GB free space, so it is not pressing. Space usage seems to be levelling off now, so probably I am near or at the max 15% of disk space restore will use.
    G

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/715389

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice