160g How many partions?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bigbear

Thread Starter
Joined
Apr 27, 2004
Messages
4,719
I am about to install a new 160g hard drive, Can anyone give me advice on what is a sensible amount of partions, and what size.
Thanks for any help (y)
 
Joined
Apr 25, 2002
Messages
3,974
How many do you want?.. Let's start with that.
If it was me, I'd go with the full 160.
 
Joined
Jul 8, 2002
Messages
14,681
You can put any number you want on.
If this is going to be a secondary hard drive, maybe just one partition.
Or you could put one partition for Windows, and one for your data or a backup (just remember, if the hard drive fails, you lose the backup as well.)
Or maybe a partition for Windows and install Linux on another, if that's something you'd like to try.
 

bigbear

Thread Starter
Joined
Apr 27, 2004
Messages
4,719
Super-D-38 said:
How many do you want?.. Let's start with that.
If it was me, I'd go with the full 160.
The reason I asked was that I read somewhere that it is safer to create multiple partions say 20 g for the software and save data to the other partions, then in the event C drive infection etc I would only have to format the c drive and all the other data would be saved.
Am I correct in my thinking?
 
Joined
Jul 8, 2002
Messages
14,681
Yes, that's true. But its still good to have a backup of anything really important on CD or online, in case there's a physical problem with the whole hard drive and you lose it all.
 

bigbear

Thread Starter
Joined
Apr 27, 2004
Messages
4,719
brendandonhu said:
Yes, that's true. But its still good to have a backup of anything really important on CD or online, in case there's a physical problem with the whole hard drive and you lose it all.
This is a clean install and the only drive, what would recomend?
Also I have heard about online backup, how safe is this and what are costs?
 
Joined
Jul 8, 2002
Messages
14,681
Clean install and only drive - I'd make 2 partitions. One for Windows, and one for your other applications/data.
You can find lots of places searching for "online backup" on Google. If you have a CD burner or DVD burner, that's probably the best way to do your backups though (you always have them on hand and don't need to rely on anyone else for them.)
 

bigbear

Thread Starter
Joined
Apr 27, 2004
Messages
4,719
brendandonhu said:
Clean install and only drive - I'd make 2 partitions. One for Windows, and one for your other applications/data.
You can find lots of places searching for "online backup" on Google. If you have a CD burner or DVD burner, that's probably the best way to do your backups though (you always have them on hand and don't need to rely on anyone else for them.)
Ok I will go with with the two partion's, that seem's to make most sense to me.
Thank's for your advice.
 
Joined
Jan 17, 2003
Messages
10,254
For a drive that size, I like to make two partitions . . one for Windows and Programs/Applications . . the balance for data. I do not put apps on the second partition since they have to be reinstalled in the event of a reinstallation of the Operating System. But it is nice to have the Operating System and Applications on a smaller drive so it can be defraged more quickly.
 
Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Top