1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

160GB Drive not Formatting right

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by djrock, Apr 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djrock

djrock Thread Starter

Hello i bought an 160GB drive. I have tried to format it as NTFS with winxp sp1 but it gets to 85% then stops. I have tried to setup xp on it with my winxp sp1a cd but when i format it. It get to 85% to 86% then stops there. What is wrong? My RAID controller supports 48bit addressing well it say it on the high point website.

Thankyou

djrock

2. djrock

djrock Thread Starter

Hello again thankyou in advance to anyone who replies but i think, think i have fix it. It might of been because i was using an old driver that came with the motherboards onboard raid floppy disk. I was using it to give xp setup the raid driver or get faced with a BSOD. I have done a quick NTFS format and it completed it with no problems. I have to goto bed so i will not be 100% sure that it was because of an old driver. After college tomorrow (today) i should find out.

If it does work thats 7 hours wasted and the hard drive has had 5 or more uncomplete formats already. Has this aged it much? If the hard drive does go i have the 3yrs warranty to rely on.

djrock

3. darkelf_18

darkelf_18

I think that there are utilities that can check to see if its a bad hardrive, like having a damaged track or secter. Norton may have one I can't remember off hand.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223014

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice