1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

160GB hard drive shows up as 127GB, how can I fix it?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kev269, Feb 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kev269

kev269 Thread Starter

Hi,

Last year, I installed my 160GB hard drive, but right now it only appears as having 127GB capacity.

I know hard drives always show up as having less gigabytes capacity than it should, but this is a different problem because the exact bytes shows up as 137,427,943,424. My 160GB hard drive should show up as 159,435,345,231 or something similar as its exact bytes and then something like 148GB as total capacity, but its not showing up like this. I don't know what the problem is, but I remember asking a long time ago and someone said it had something to do with the file system.... I'm using NTFS.

Thanks for your help.

2. steigrafx

steigrafx

Is your BIOS seeing the proper size? If not, updating your BIOS should resolve the issue. Even if your BIOS does see the right size, Windows needs at least Service Pack 1 to see a 160GB drive.

3. mattice06082

mattice06082

Check out this MS knowledge base article.

4. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Can you post some of the Specs of your system. Such as Mothrboard or MAnufacturer Model Number, Processor, OS (including Service Packs) Ram, Etc... The 127Gb sounds like a pre-SP1 Limitation in Windows. or a BIOS limitation of an older motherboard.

5. Brum

Brum

Has it always been like this? Did you reinstall windows to make it show up as 127GB?

Before you upgrade the bios on the motherboard (becuase that has the possibility of killing your MOBO), look to see if your Windows installation disk came with Service Pack 2. Windows XP needs service pack 2 to be able to recognize a partition of over 127 GB. If that is not the case, then I would look into finding a flash upgrade for your bios.

6. Brum

Brum

That particular site is about Windows being able to use a HDD that is larger than 137 GB. I believe this is a different problem although they are very similar.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541374

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice