1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

160gb Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jonuck, Feb 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jonuck

jonuck Thread Starter

I received a 160gb Western Digital HD as a Christmas present and my dilemma is to successfully integrate this with my aging computer system. I would like some advice as to what checks I can undertake to ascertain whether this is indeed possible. I will welcome all suggestions.

jonuck. :confused:

Pentium 111. 500mhz.
    Win 98se,
    Award BIOS 1999.
    Abit BE6 M/B.

2. photolady

photolady

If you update the BIOS to a new one, if available, you might get that drive to work. The problem is, win98 has a block on drives over a certain size and won't install.

3. dai

dai

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Instead of a drive overlay, I would suggest either a bios update or [if that is not available] a controller card. IMO a drive overlay is somewhat like asking for problems.

5. jonuck

jonuck Thread Starter

Many thanks guy's for your response and I am pursuing all suggests. Have submitted my BIOS spec's for possible update and have researched the availiblity and cost of add on PCI controller Cards, a drive overlay is something I have not as yet fully researched but am working on it. At this juncture I am beginning to wonder if perhaps I should be considering an update of my whole system but I think I would miss the challenges that this old beast has thrown at me since 1999. Will report back as per progress.

jonuck. ;)

6. winbob

winbob

I understand that this has been said very often before, but I think that the evidence is "Anecdotal" and not backed by any meaningful STAT's.

The reason that I say that is because my OWN anecdotal evidence says the opposite....go figure :rolleyes:

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I have had numerous instances of problems caused by drive overlays. When you move the drive to another system to backup data, it will not play well with other drives.

Doing a clean install where a drive overlay was used can [and often does] cause problems.

For the price of a controller card, [$25 or so from newegg] it is not worth the chance of having problems.

I just fixed by brothers system a few days ago. He was trying to install xp pro. Guess what; a drive overlay was preventing setup from finding all of the drives on the system. Running maxblast and removing the overlay solved the problem.

8. photolady

photolady

I too would stay away from drive overlays. My problems with them are tested and not a good test either. Best to get a PCI controller card as suggested by crjdriver, as many of my tech friends (you know those old guys who still run a computer from the Lost World) :D are using them.

9. jonuck

jonuck Thread Starter

"as many of my tech friends (you know those old guys who still run a computer from the Lost World) are using them."

photolady, I resemble that remark. What you must understand is that old computers are like old cars and not easy to part with. Only kidding!.

10. TheCableGuy

TheCableGuy

save money, for 200$ u can buy a new mobo, proc, RAM and case, it's not gonna be a killer machine but its gonna be MUCH better than your current system

11. photolady

photolady

Actually, jonuck, so do I. I know it's hard to let go those old computers that have been reliable so far. And a PCI Promise card is a lot cheaper than $200 for a new system. :rolleyes:

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/330029

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice