1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

16GB RAM to 4GB

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by VelvetOverlap, Dec 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. VelvetOverlap

VelvetOverlap Thread Starter

hi,

recently I upgraded to win 10 because I had some wierd problems with 100% disk usage, and in the process I lost 12GB of ram... I have 8GB on board(it's a laptop) and one additional 8GB. I don't believe 2 ram sticks gone bad in the installation so whats the catch?

PLS HELP

Attached Files:

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    According to the specs at the link below that laptop has 4 ram slots (2 user accessible and 2 not, I take that to mean you can get to the user accessible ones more easily !) and has 2 x 4GB ram sticks when new.
    http://www.toshiba.co.il/en/discontinued-products/satellite-p875-31t/
    Did you replace both of those with 8GB sticks ? Which ram slots is the present ram in and are they the same slots the original ram was in ?
    Is your Windows 10 64 bit ?

3. VelvetOverlap

no the 2 4GB sticks are the ones that came with the laptop I added one 8 GB stick. The laptop is at least 4 years old and it was working in this configuration for couple of years.... the ram dissapeared after windows reinstall... that's what makes it strange.
    The RAM that is working now is the original RAM that came with the laptop.

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    How much ram is shown in the Bios ? If less than 16GB try setting the bios to default values and check ram amount again.

5. Lozzy-loz

Lozzy-loz

Did you install the the 32 bit version of windows 10 or the 64 bit version?.
    If you installed the 32 bit windows 10 the maximum memory allowed is 4gb and the rest of your ram will not show

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Go to control panel>system and security>system. Post a screenshot of what it says. Here is an example.

Attached Files:

7. VelvetOverlap

did that, it is 4 gb in BIOS also.

Attached Files:

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, if the bios shows only 4gig, that is all the operating system is ever going to see/use.
    Some things to try;
    1 Reseat all of the ram. Pull out each stick; blow the slot out with a can of air and reinstall
    2 Have you loaded optimized defaults in the bios? If not, do so
    3 Pull out all new ram and see if the bios shows 8gig [the original ram]

Do use caution when swapping/installing ram. Pull out the laptop battery and remove the A/C pw plug. Press the ON button 2~3 times; all residual pw is now dissipated. Now you can swap/reseat ram.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!