1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

1720: Detected Hard Drive Failure Imminent

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cyber Akuma, Jan 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cyber Akuma

    Cyber Akuma Thread Starter

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2003
    Messages:
    1
    Well, I finally bought a new harddrive to replace my failing drive, however when I tried to use the Data Lifeguard tools to duplicate the data from the old drive to the new one, it failed! The drive (so far) still works, though access time is slow, and all sighs show that its starting to fail (the HD diognostic disk showed that the data error ratio and seek time are in the critical range).

    Now, roughly 80% of the data on the drive I dont really care if it is lost, since most of the data is programs that I still have the original cds for and can just as easily re-install. However, the other 20% is data I do not have backed up (Yes yes I know, im stupid for not making backups) in any way, and I really dont want to loose, data like school projects, passwords, accounts, personal art/programming projects, etc. THIS data I cannot afford to loose if I can help it. (And data recovery is out of the question, I coule buy three new pcs for the price of one standard data recovery)

    Now that you know the background of my problem, heres my questions

    1. I started a through scandisk (itll take a few hours, the drive is 80 GB). Smart idea or Stupid idea on a drive that is near-failure?

    2. I know there is no DEFINATE time, but roughly how much time do I have until the drive fails so bad that I cant even access the data on it anymore?

    3. If even after the scandisk I cant duplicate the drive, my next plan is to make it master and my new drive the slave, then to manually drag and copy the critial files on my drive. After I copy my non-backed up files this way (if I can), I plan to copy the files on the root of the drive, the windows directory, and the program files directory, if I do this will windows be able to boot without re-installing? If not, what else do I have to copy to make it boot?
     
  2. n2gun

    n2gun

    Joined:
    Mar 3, 2000
    Messages:
    4,168
    Just a thought, rather than strain the old drive. Put the new one in as master (for now leave the old one unhooked but set it to slave while in there). Install all your software on the new drive. Once this is done, hook the old one as a slave and copy your data to the new one. The old one could fail at any time and this may be the best chance of saving the data.
     
  3. JohnWill

    JohnWill Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2002
    Messages:
    106,418
    I think I'd pick up a copy of GHOST and make an image backup of the old drive that you can cruise through with GHOST Explorer. It's the fastest way to get all the data off with minimal risk that the drive will die during the attempt. I agree with the comment that the LAST thing you should be doing now is drive diagnostics! You just want to get your data off, you know the drive is dying! If you really value the data, I'd make that the first priority.

    Once you get all the data to the new drive, you might want to actually start thinking about a backup strategy before the next drive fails, not after. :rolleyes:
     
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Loading...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112083

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice