1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

174.74 nVidia drivers causing mouse problems

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ultimabob, Apr 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ultimabob

ultimabob Thread Starter

I'm running XP Pro. I just did a clean install.

I recently bought a 9800Gx2. This is my first nVidia card.

When I install 174.74 my mouse pointer becomes wonky. It no longer displays the hand when over links. And in explorer (and in other times) it frequently displays the arrow + hourglass. I have even removed the hourglass symbol from the pointer options in the control panel. But it still comes up.

Furthermore, Logitech setpoint doesn't work properly when I have 174.74 installed. It works - but it won't bring up the picture of the mouse and the "ok" , "cancel" and "apply" buttons at the bottom of the logitech settings window are transparent. They still seem to work. But something isn't right.

The mouse issue is annoying me, But I cannot seem to fix it. Has anyone heard of this problem?

2. techychick

techychick

I suppose the first question to ask is if you have the latest drivers installed for the mouse?

3. ultimabob

ultimabob Thread Starter

I have tried both the latest mouse drivers and the ones that the mouse came with (earlier version).

The logitech program seems to be only slightly corrupted. The main issue is the mouse pointer itself being weird. That happens with or without the logitech drivers. Even if I set the mouse pointer to a banana shape, it still is an arrow + hourglass as long as I have the nVidia drivers in.

I suppose I could search for older nVidia drivers. But I'm worried that they won't properly support my 9800Gx2 as it is so new.

At the moment, unless somebody has a fix, I'm thinking the best thing to do is to just accept the small cosmetic issue and see if the next nVidia drivers fix things. Or go to Vista. OFC if things start to degenerate...

4. ultimabob

ultimabob Thread Starter

Bah I cannot play any videos either.

Here is my system:

Intel E6700 2.66 ghz Core2Duo CPU
    nVidia 9800Gx2 GPU
    ASUS P5H DW Deluxe Motherboard
    Zalman ZM1000-HP 1000 wat PSU
    4 GB OCZ 1066 DDR2 Ram
    Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Extreme Music sound card
    Samsung 2693HM 26" LCD Monitor
    Creative Inspire 5.1 Spealers
    Logitech G5 Laser Mouse
    Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard
    Windows XP Professional

All Drivers are latest versions now

Logitech Setpoint 4.40 for Mouse
    Logitech lgps202 for keyboard
    nVidia nforce 174.74 for GPUs
    Latest Sound Blaster and Monitor drivers
    Bios has been updated as well.

I have tried 174.70 and 174.53 drivers as well - same problems. I have tried VLC, Mplayer, and winamp.

Videos seem to play okay in safe mode with some corruption - probably because there is no driver at all. But they do play in safe mode.

Can't play games either. Blech.

5. DawnS

DawnS

My best advice would be to un-install the logitech mouse completely. Attach a generic mouse to your computer and reboot. After the re-boot, you will see that the device manager has recognized a generic widows compatible mouse.

Now then attach your Logitech mouse to the computer. While this will not make your mouse reconized as a logitech mouse, but it will be the mouse that you like using and will work for you.

Your video card issue is a concern, it might be a bad card. Go to :

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

and get the very latest drivers to date. If this does not solve your issue, I belive you may need to get a new video card.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/702928

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice