19% resources

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

t1zzee

I have a compaq 3550. Running windows 98.
My Computer is saying I only have 19% resources available. Yet everything is still functioning well and it's fast enough. I thought that low resources caused hanging and slowness. My hard drive is pretty clean. I don't have many programs installed. What could be zapping that much of my resources?

system resources are controlled by the amount of programs running. A lot of programs load at startup that aren't needed. Either you don't use them often or at all, they just sit there and consume resources.

Go to start/run/type msconfig and press enter, go to start up tab, this is a list of everything that loads on startup. Uncheck the ones you don't use constantly.

If your not sure go to start/run/type msinfo32 and press enter, go to software environment tab on left, expand it, go to startup programs, this will display the list in the right hand column. Go to edit menu, choose select all, back to edit menu, choose copy, and paste the list back into this thread.

t1zzee

Im not sure which of these are required-please help.
Microsoft Office Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE" -b -l
SwapNut Startup Group "C:\Program Files\JavaSoft\JRE\1.3.1\bin\javaw.exe" -cp . RunSwapNut -startup
PowerReg Scheduler Startup Group C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp\PowerReg Scheduler.exe
Controller Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Symantec\WinFax\WFXCTL32.EXE"
Web Reminder Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP OfficeJet Pro 1170C Series\reminder.exe"
HP ODLB08 Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP PSC 500 98\scanning\Hpodlb08.exe"
IomegaWare Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Iomega\IomegaWare\Commander.exe" /startup
Iomega QuikSync Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Iomega\QuikSync\QuikSync.exe" NoStartUp
Iomega Icons Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Iomega\Tools\imgicon.exe"
Iomega Startup Options Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Iomega\Tools\imgstart.exe"
Greetings Workshop Reminders Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Greetings Workshop\GWREMIND.EXE"
HP ScanPicture Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP OfficeJet Pro 1170C Series\hpmsp2ia.exe"
HP 1170 FPB Startup Group C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\hpmdlbia.exe
RealDownload Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Real\RealDownload\REALDOWNLOAD.EXE" -hidden
ScreenPro Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Cornerstone\BigMonitor Software\iasizing.exe"
BigMonitor Software Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Cornerstone\BigMonitor Software\Imassist.exe"
QuickBooks Delivery Agent Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks Pro\Components\QBAgent\QBDAgent.exe"
Yahoo! Pager Registry (Per-User Run) C:\PROGRAM FILES\YAHOO!\MESSENGER\ypager.exe
ScanRegistry Registry (Machine Run) c:\windows\scanregw.exe /autorun
TaskMonitor Registry (Machine Run) c:\windows\taskmon.exe
LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Run) Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
SystemTray Registry (Machine Run) SysTray.Exe
EM_EXEC Registry (Machine Run) c:\mouse\system\em_exec.exe
Aureal A3D Interactive Audio Init Registry (Machine Run) A3dInit.exe
AvconsoleEXE Registry (Machine Run) C:\Program Files\Network Associates\McAfee VirusScan\avconsol.exe /minimize
Vshwin32EXE Registry (Machine Run) C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETWORK ASSOCIATES\MCAFEE VIRUSSCAN\VSHWIN32.EXE
VsStatEXE Registry (Machine Run) C:\Program Files\Network Associates\McAfee VirusScan\VSSTAT.EXE /SHOWWARNING
CPQEASYACC Registry (Machine Run) C:\Program Files\Compaq\Easy Access Button Support\cpqeadm.exe
EACLEAN Registry (Machine Run) C:\Program Files\Compaq\Easy Access Button Support\eaclean.exe
CriticalUpdate Registry (Machine Run) c:\windows\SYSTEM\wucrtupd.exe -startup
StillImageMonitor Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\stimon.exe
McAfeeWebScanX Registry (Machine Run) C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETWORK ASSOCIATES\MCAFEE VIRUSSCAN\WebScanX.Exe
RealTray Registry (Machine Run) C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\realplay.exe SYSTEMBOOTHIDEPLAYER
Service Connection Registry (Machine Run) c:\cpqs\bwtools\sccenter.exe
WNAD Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\WNAD.EXE
VsecomrEXE Registry (Machine Run) C:\Program Files\Network Associates\McAfee VirusScan\VSECOMR.EXE
OEMCLEANUP Registry (Machine Run) C:\windows\OPTIONS\oemreset.exe
MotiveMonitor Registry (Machine Run) C:\Program Files\Motive\MotiveAssistant\motmon.exe
HP Product Registration Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\HPOnLReg\Remind32.exe
CreateCD Registry (Machine Run) C:\PROGRA~1\ADAPTEC\EASYCD~1\CREATECD\CREATECD.EXE -r
LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Service) Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
SchedulingAgent Registry (Machine Service) mstask.exe
CPQDFWAG Registry (Machine Service) C:\WINDOWS\cpqdiag\CpqDfwAg.exe
isdbdc Registry (Machine Service) c:\compaq\internet\isdbdc.exe
Vshwin32EXE Registry (Machine Service) C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETWORK ASSOCIATES\MCAFEE VIRUSSCAN\VSHWIN32.EXE
McAfeeWebScanX Registry (Machine Service) C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETWORK ASSOCIATES\MCAFEE VIRUSSCAN\WebScanX.Exe /RUNSERVICES
HC Reminder Registry (Machine Service) hc.exe
Aureal A3D Interactive Audio Registry (Machine Service) sa3dsrv.exe
CPQInet Runtime Service Registry (Machine Service) c:\compaq\CPQInet\CpqInet.exe

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Wow, you've got quite a bit there you can uncheck from starting every time you start your computer.

With that many items running, I'm not surprised your resources are so low. What would probably be easiest is to do this:

Start button, run, then type msconfig and hit ok.....go to the startup tab and uncheck everything except:

ScanRegistry Registry (Machine Run) c:\windows\scanregw.exe /autorun

LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Run) Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme (there's 2 of these, leave both of them)

SystemTray Registry (Machine Run) SysTray.Exe

Vshwin32EXE Registry (Machine Service) C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETWORK ASSOCIATES\MCAFEE VIRUSSCAN\VSHWIN32.EXE
McAfeeWebScanX Registry (Machine Service) C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETWORK ASSOCIATES\MCAFEE VIRUSSCAN\WebScanX.Exe /RUNSERVICES

Restart the computer and see what your resources are....if there's truly anything you miss from starting each time, you can always go back and re-check it.....

If anyone else sees anything that should be re-checked, I'm sure they'll jump in.......

Many HP scanners won’t run without Still Image Monitor checked in the startup. All of the other HP scanner stuff will start on demand. I found it out the hard way – it was a REALLY embarrassing call to HP tech support.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Good point slipe....should have caught that one myself as I have a scanner with that running at startup too :)

Thanks.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online