1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

1920x1200 with an external monitor on my laptop ??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GuiBou, Jan 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GuiBou

GuiBou Thread Starter

Hi, I have a Toshiba Qosmio G20.
    (http://www.toshiba.ca/web/product.grp?lg=en&section=1&group=1&product=5006&part=4134#spectop)

It says in the specs it can do up to 2048x1536. I have an external Sony LCD monitor (Sony SDM P234, 23''). Yes it's quite a monitor and laptop too :)

Installed Sony drivers, latest Nvidia GO drivers from Toshiba web site. The best I can do is set the external monitor to 1600 x 1200 (with black bars on each sides). Called Toshiba once, the guy didn't had any clues for me :(

I tried what they said in the Toshiba support web site, no luck yet...

Any professional here would have any ideas ?

Thanks !

Guillaume
    (sorry if my english is not perfect...)

2. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

resolution capability of the laptop and lcd monitor are 2 different things.

rather than try for the highest resolution they say i is possible for the laptop, check the native/best resolution for the lcd monitor and that's where you should run the res.

best res on my 17 lcd is 1280x1024 which makes for a huge desktop area but everything is too tiny.

i had to increase text, icons, settings/appearance to make it usable.

3. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

The monitor is capable of 1920 x 1200, and should only be run at that.
    In fact this is what its actually running at, hence the "black band" at the sides at the present setting.

Make sure that you have the color set to no more than 16.7 million (24 bit) or the available memory in the video RAM on the laptop may be too little to support the higher resolution?

Looks like you only get the higher resolution if the laptop display is not active, the way I interpret the specs.

4. GuiBou

GuiBou Thread Starter

I'm not sure if I tried just to lower the colors to 16-bit, I'll give it a try. The goal is of course to use the big LCD instead of the laptop's lcd...

If somebody else have clue, don't be shy ! :)

Guillaume

5. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

i run 16.

6. ptishberg

ptishberg

go into Windows desktop - rtclk Properties - got to the tab called settings. Click advanced - clck to NOT share the monitor check box with second monitor (Basically uncheck this box if it is currently checked - i assumed it needed to be in order to share the dektop but it actually allowed me to take my mouse and drag from the laptop screen to the LCD monitr)- this will allow you to use laptop screen OR LCD monitor (preferred) when you clik the F5 or F whatever key on your laptop to first emulate to the LCD monitor. Play with the modes for the display adapter as well for resolution and flciker but preferably use the auto-detect on the monitor to set it for the connecvtion onece you are booted up. BIGGY: be sure not to exceed the Hz settings (like mine says 60 ok, 72 - fry baby!) Hope this helps

7. kaligt55

kaligt55

Great info that you gave to him. Especially the warning.
    Would you happen to know if and how to detach a monitor from a laptop? I was at my lawyers and his moniter was at one corner if his desk and the keyboard in the tray. He's had it fir some years and he didn't know how to do it. He said his so did it.

That would be a lifesaver for me.
    thanks
    kali

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/435803

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice