1996 craftsman push mower wont start

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

tevor223

Hi,
I have a craftsman push mower that I got out of the trash, I have tried to get it running for about 1 month. I have looked at the carb, and it looks clean. The carb is getting gas. It has new gas and a new spark plug. The oil is at the right level. I need to change the filter, but evan with the filter off it wont start. when I first got it it started but one second later it died. has not started since. what might be wrong? I have been on the internet trying to fix this and I am getting vary frustrated... any help is greatly valued.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
First off, verify that you're getting a spark. Take the plug out and ground the base so you can see it when you pull the starter. Turn the engine over with the starter rope and see if you have a spark.

If you have a spark, time to move on to the fuel line and carb. Are you getting compression when you pull the starter?

tevor223

I have already have checked the spark. it is good. fuel line is clear. carb is clean. ignition coil is good.

tevor223

yes I have. It has not made any noise. all af the tings that was suggested was already checked before I done this post.

The carb may "look" clean but may not be. Which carb is it, bowl or not? Bowl carb has needle valve and ports that may be stopped up. If not bowl type, may need a new kit. Most times the non bowl type can be cleaned and will work without new kit, but is always best to install a new kit.

wacor

Banned
if you pour gas in the carb will it start?

If so get the carb boiled out and rebuilt

On the other hand there might have been a reason it was in the garbage :D

tevor223

took the carb off and cleaned it. Put all back together and played with the primer button and it started for one second and quit. better than it has been. could it be the primer only or carb only, or both? when I press the primer it sounds like I am sucking air and not much gas. But the tank is not really that full.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
One of the most common issues with small gas motors is the carb, it's usually the place I start after I make sure the plug is good. :)

After you have done tune up things(new spark plug and cleaning the air filter) and mower still wont run, 90% of the time its the carb. Try cleaning it first. Be careful and dont alter anything, just make sure all jets and ports are clean using carb cleaner. If after doing that and it still wont run, take the carb to a small engine place and either get a carb rebuild kit, or ask them how much for a replacement carb. Also check to see if there is a fuel filter. Usually a little thing attached to the end of the line that goes into the gas tank. Might want to replace that as well. I've made quite a few bucks here and there picking up lawn mowers from peoples trash piles and getting them running again by replacing a $3 gasket on a carb, then selling the mower for $30 or so. Impresses the heck out of the customer when you get it to start with one pull.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I've picked up several carbs for small engines, typically they're about $20. By the time you screw around and rebuild it, you might as well buy the new carb.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online