1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

1997 Tahoe Problem

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by gmagic, Feb 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gmagic

gmagic Thread Starter

1997 Tahoe, automatic transmission, 5.8L V8 engine, 140K miles, engine light on. When problem occurs, will be driving at highway speeds, engine continues to run, but vehicle loses speed and must move to side of road (engine still running). The engine is turned off and re-started, chugging/clanking sound is heard/felt from rear, also lurching/surging is felt and gradually smooth/normal speed can be resumed. For background information, I have never waited with the engine running to see if normal operation is regained. I have always turned the engine off and re-started. Any suggestions what to look for?

2. Knotbored

Knotbored

A million possibilities
    but
    I had similar situation on old ford eeconoline and found the converter (between engine and auto-trans) was leaking down-losing fluid back into the trans where it overflowed. Its supposed to fill then stay full of trans fluid.
    The van would run fine-lose power to the wheels-coast to a stop-restart after 2 minutes and run a few blocks then same condition.
    Most trans shops will check out for free.

3. Farmgirl22

Farmgirl22

Is it 4x4??

4. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy folks...

Sounds to me like it may be flooding out...

When is the last time you changed the air filter, or did a tune up?

Sounds like you have a broken muffler/tail pipe mounting bracket as well...

5. gmagic

gmagic Thread Starter

No, it's not a 4 x 4.

6. Farmgirl22

Farmgirl22

You sure?? I'm thinking tranny's stripped out. If those gears are shot, it could make a grinding noise until it hits teeth and grabs for a while, plus it would make it easy for it to slip gears and essentially go into neutral.

If it had been 4x4, I would have guessed transfer case (early to mid 80's had a problem with the 208 case, could've easily happened again)...but since it isn't, I'm gonna have to guess tranny. The idiot light would come on if the oil needed changed, so that might not necessarily be relevant to the real problem.

It's hard to tell what is going on from the description though....Knotbored hit the nail on the head when he said millions of possibilities....without seeing/hearing/driving it for myself, that is.

7. Farmgirl22

Farmgirl22

I guess the question I forgot to ask was this: Does the engine pull down? Or does it maintain RPM's?? If the engine is pulling down, I'd agree with Jedi-Master. If not....I'd be thinking about going to a shop.

8. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

About 99.9% it's not the tranny or rear end ect...

If it were, I kinda doubt that the OP would be getting it up to highway speeds, without noticing the tranny or ect. is grinding...

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The obvious thing would be to see if an error code is stored in the on-board computer. FWIW, transmission issues can cause a "check engine light" on many cars/trucks.

10. Farmgirl22

Farmgirl22

It would not surprise me...some people can ignore anything, especially with a radio blaring. I know someone that drove all the way to Wichita (about 45 miles) without realizing their tire had blown out and they were driving on the rim. And I've heard of people driving far distances with their driveline dragging the ground.

However, you are probably right...as I said earlier, it's going to be hard to tell without actually seeing/hearing/driving it for myself....

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

All cars built since 1996 use standard codes. These are easily read with a code reader that you can buy at any auto parts store. BTW the connection for the reader should be right under the steering column. This is the same connection used for smog checks.

From the post I would be looking at a fuel problem ie clogged filter, weak pump in the tank, etc. Have you ever changed the fuel filter?

12. gmagic

gmagic Thread Starter

The fuel pump was changed out some time ago, don't know if filter has been checked/changed. There were 4 codes returned from the computer: P0101 (mass air flow sensor - this code appeared twice), P1133 (O2 sensor bank 1 sensor 1), P1153 (O2 sensor bank 2 sensor 1).

13. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Mass air flow sensor = expensive! :eek: I think most of the time the O2 sensors are a lot cheaper.

14. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Ya know...have you checked the air filter just to be sure?

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It is not that bad. The mass airflow sensor most likely just needs cleaning. Remove it and clean with electrical contact cleaner. Be careful not to break the filament. Reinstall the MAF.

Change the O2 sensors. Note you may have 2, 3, or 4 sensors. Change all of them. This will be pretty expensive.

Now clear fault codes from the computer and test drive.

BTW if you do not know when the fuel filter was changed, I would just replace it.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541306

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice