1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

1GB good, 2GB Bad?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gourdo, Apr 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Gourdo

Gourdo Thread Starter

Just been given two sticks of ram to fit the spare slots in my pc. However the machine then booted slower and when it got to the desktop just hung. A press (or two) of the reset button seemed to resolve the problem and then it ran fine (and quicker). Is one type of RAM incompatible with the other or are there setting changes that need to be made?
    The motherboard is a K8 Triton nForce 4 SLI GA-K8N SLI.
    The original RAM is marked as DDR 400(3) 512Mx16.
    The new RAM is DDR SDRAM 512MB DIMM PC3200.
    If they won't work together which is the better one to fit?

Any input appreciated!

Cheers,

Ken

2. Arcadion

Arcadion

If it helps, DDR400 and PC3200 are the same thing.

3. Gourdo

Gourdo Thread Starter

That's what I thought, and they're all 512 MB...
    Does it matter that the original ram is from one manufacturer and the new is from a different one?

4. brite750

brite750

many times when you first boot up with new ram it may take longer as the bios is resetting with the new hw but if its alright now you should be fine

5. brite750

brite750

most times not, i like to stick with matched sticks but in reality if you dont notice any problems youre fine. most pc geeks like to use the dual channel feature on their mbs and the theory is that matched sticks work better but i doubt anyone would really notice any difference other than a few % points in some benchmark

6. Gourdo

Gourdo Thread Starter

But presumably that should only be the first time you boot up..? Once it's reset it should then fire up ok? I have to hit the reset button every time I boot up and then it seems fine. Does it automatically select dual-channel or does that involve bios-delving?

7. brite750

brite750

Oh thats different and is not right, you may very well have a compatibilty problem.
    Yes if your MB is dual channel its sometimes a setting in the bios and is usually something related to how the mem sticks are plugged into the dimm sockets. ie if you have 4 slots say 1, 2, 3 & 4 the 2 sticks would have to be identical and in slot 1 & 3 or 2 & 4

8. brite750

brite750

the only thing i can think of for you to do is to test each stick of ram with memtest to see if maybe you have a bad stick but MBz can be fussy, my new MB would not run right with corsair value select ram i had to buy Crucial. I tend to stay way from mixing ram but most times it should not be a problem.
    have you run a program like PCWizard to tell you excatly what sticks you have, the timings or voltages may not be the same and thats why this is happening.

9. johnsonwk2

johnsonwk2

This is most likely the case. This is one of the main reasons for not mis matching RAM.

10. brite750

brite750

11. Gourdo

Gourdo Thread Starter

I think that they must be in 1-2, 3-4, that is in pairs and not "staggered". I may have a swapround and see if that improves things. I have downloaded PC Wizard and will see what it has to say when I've put the other sticks in...

12. brite750

brite750

i guess if you want you could try popping the cmos battery out for a few minutes and put back in to reset the bios, see if that helps your restart problem

13. brite750

brite750

good idea

14. Gourdo

Gourdo Thread Starter

Hmmmm....
    Ok, looking through the motherboard manual it suggests that for dual channel with two sticks to use the paired colour sockets (in effect 1 and 2 going left to right) so I replaced the new ram sticks in to sockets 3 and 4. Fired up the system and it booted up straight away. Opened up PC Wizard and it shows 2048 MB DDR-SDRAM, all four sticks showing voltage of SSTL 2.5v. The differences I can see are here:
    Two sticks show this:
    CAS Latency (tCL) : 2.5 clocks @166 MHz, 3 clocks @200 MHz
    RAS to CAS (tRCD) : 4 clocks @166 MHz, 4 clocks @200 MHz
    RAS Precharge (tRP) : 4 clocks @166 MHz, 4 clocks @200 MHz
    Cycle Time (tRAS) : 7 clocks @166 MHz, 8 clocks @200 MHz

The other two show this:
    CAS Latency (tCL) : 2 clocks @133 MHz, 2.5 clocks @200 MHz, 3 clocks @200 MHz
    RAS to CAS (tRCD) : 2 clocks @133 MHz, 3 clocks @200 MHz, 3 clocks @200 MHz
    RAS Precharge (tRP) : 2 clocks @133 MHz, 3 clocks @200 MHz, 3 clocks @200 MHz
    Cycle Time (tRAS) : 6 clocks @133 MHz, 8 clocks @200 MHz, 8 clocks @200 MHz

Is this a timing issue then? It won't be the end of the world if I have to take a set out (the new sticks were free) but it would be nice to have 'em (did I mention they were free?) doing their thing!

15. brite750

brite750

i guess i would run it for awaile to see if this creates any serious problems but it is best to run ram of all the same timings

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/703548

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice