1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

1GB of Ram showing as 512MB

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Divine Visitor, Sep 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Divine Visitor

Divine Visitor Thread Starter

Yep, im stumped. Ok, so my PC currently has 1GB of Ram, however most of the time it only shows as 512MB in the system information. Occasionally i get lucky and it shows it's whole 1GB but im just wondering why it's only comming up with 512MB when it chooses to do so.

I have the exact same PC model as my mother's although she isn't experiencing any problems.

The model im using is:
    http://vaio.sony.co.uk/view/ShowPro..._cons&pageType=Overview&category=VD+XL+Series

Any ideas? Note im pretty computer illiterate when it comes to these things. Though my mother's a bit more educated in this department.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you.

2. Megabite

Megabite

Have you got all your updates...Windows updates and have you gone to the Sony site and see if there are any updates for that model ie Bios updates etc.

3. Megabite

Megabite

Also you could have a loose memory stick.......if you know where they are usually under a trap door on the underneath with 4 phillips screw

4. eGuyz

eGuyz

Do u have any video card installed or using 2x512 chips

5. nycmoonstar

nycmoonstar

I'm not an expert at all, but just wanted to say that I experienced the SAME thing (my comp sometimes recognizing it but not always) for about two days and it turned out that the chip was not inserted all the way in. I had added RAM chips before and thought I'd pushed it in more than enough but I guess how hard you gotta push is different from one chip to another.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753407

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice