1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

1st Boot (1nce Again)

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by scottastroph, Jan 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. scottastroph

scottastroph Thread Starter

I just upgraded a computer with all new parts except for the floppy drive and HD. After error after error of trying to get it running, it now boots up. I am trying to do a fresh install of XP Pro. I have the floppy disks for booting up and I put the 1st one in and nothing is happening. It keeps saying no boot record found. I tested the disk on another system and it works fine. The light comes on the floppy drive from the time I boot it up and stays on whether or not there is a disk in the drive. The floppy was tested on another sytem and it works. Any idea on what the problem could be or how to make a bootable CD. I have been to a few different sites trying to figure out how to do it and trying to integrate win xp pro with sp 2 and it just isnt letting me do it. I appreciate any help you can give me.

2. p8jx6

p8jx6

check the cable on the floppy, and make sure that it isn't flipped around, as in it thinking that pin 1 is pin 34

you can also change the boot order, if you mother board is made after 2000, or maybe 1999, it should support a bootable cd, if you are using the original cd it is bootable, it might need to be put in the CD ROM that is the first on any IDE Chain, as in Secondary Master, or Primary Slave (i don't know if that works)

but try that to see if it works, you can also set you MB to do a "Floppy Seek" before it continues to boot, and that will tell you if the floppy is in working condition the way that it is hooked up.

3. norton850

norton850

If in the process of your upgrading you took the cable off the floppy drive you may have put it on upside down.

4. scottastroph

doesnt the twist in the cable go near the floppy?

5. p8jx6

p8jx6

for A: plug it in, in the very last plug, and yes the twist goes next to the drive

6. norton850

norton850

As stated you are correct about the twist, but you have to turn the wire connector where it connects on the drive around. And do you have an XP CD?

7. scottastroph

Got it. Thanks alot, i appreciate it.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/323024

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice