1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

1st Mac

Discussion in 'Apple Mac' started by am3av, Dec 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. am3av

am3av Thread Starter

This is my first Apple computer. It's pretty decent, but as a new user I have a lot of questions and unknowns running around my brain! For one, some of the applications I installed (I did a search for free Apple software as I've never really seen any and needed a resource, I was redirected to the Apple website which has some free, demo, shareware programs available). I installed Blackhole, Disk Drill, My Backuplist, TCPBlock; etc. Some of the programs are disappearing and reappearing in the applications/utilities folders randomly. Not sure why, not sure how to stop it. I was told Apple's don't get viruses though! I have a lot more questions but I guess it should be taken from the beginning point and stopping this four square game with the applications sounds like a good line of scrimmage.

2. Headrush

Headrush

How did you install these apps?

Did the apps you download appear as drive icons on the desktop? Did you then drag the application icon inside this folder into the Applications folder on your hard drive?

3. am3av

am3av Thread Starter

what i'm experiencing is that in most cases, the application has the little box which tells you to drag the icon into applications, utilities, or anywhere (those are the three locations I've encountered). One or two folders when I opened them would either just open the program, in which case I'd move them in applications or onto the desktop. Then, there were others which would prompt me of the internet download, then open a box with an icon and no drag option, then clicking that would install the program. so it's been a little bit of each flavor of installation. Now, which was which? blackhole was just an opener, maintenance was a drag into, disk drill was a drag into, ...i think. but i know blackhole didn't require installation, whereas onyx did it was drag into applications.

4. lordsmurf

lordsmurf

Yep, it's a mix.
    Some even have installers like Windows does. Generally that's for more complex software.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970287

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice