1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

1st post

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by tedfat, Sep 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tedfat

tedfat Thread Starter

Well hope you guys can help me.
    I have a 20 gig hard drive on a micro computer.
    When i installed xp on it i didnt know about partitioning at the time so it automaticaly divided into 2 gig and 18 gig.
    Because i was a bit of a newbie a couple of years ago i didnt want to start messing around with stuff so left it as it was, only problem was as you can imagine everytime i downloaded something i would have to transfer it straight away from my 2 gig part (c: drive) to the 18 gig partition ( e:drive) anyway after months and months of doing this and running out of space i decided to do something about it. I borrowed of my brother some sort of partition and was messing about with it but to no avail.
    Now one day when i put the computer on whether it be me messing around or a virus i went on my computer and had a ? mark over the e:drive and it couldn't find it.
    Non of my programmes would work either,.
    i lost everything.
    I have tried loads of programmes to find lost files etc... but to no avail.
    But if i right click on my computer, manage, storage, and disk management it tells me i have a c drive with 2 gig that is nearly full and the other one says new partition 17.08 gig with only 1.8 gig remaining.
    So i know that the partition and stuff is still there, it just cant access it.
    I have tried to rename it to e drive and f drive but for some reason it wont let me.
    I can right click on the 18 gig but it wont let me alter anything, like mark opartition as active or change path etc.

So does anyone know how i can get it back or is it a lost cause?
    I know if the FBI had my computer they would be able to do it so there must be a simple tool for us simpletons out here.

Cheers in advance if any one can be bothered to read all this dribble.
    :)

Tedfat

2. tedfat

tedfat Thread Starter

Just had a look at the properties for the c drive and gone into driver properties and it is showing 2
    1 says c\windows\system32\DRIVERS\disk.sys
    and the other says

c\windows\system32\drivers\PartMgr.sys

So i it looks like i maight have partioned something or dome something with partition magic.
    When i go and have a look at the file i can't open it cause it doesnt know what programme to open it with.
    Should i delete????!!!!!!
    Or is that a big no no,lol

Mr Bungle

3. tedfat

tedfat Thread Starter

4. cavtek

cavtek

it dont look good ted. maybe some will come along and help, but it looks like reformat and reinstall to me...

5. rude

rude

Are you using XP Home or Pro?

6. tedfat

tedfat Thread Starter

I'm using xp home

Tedfat

7. tedfat

tedfat Thread Starter

I think if the worst comes to worst, it just would be good not to lose all my photos and music files etc....
    I just dont understand that how come it knows there is 1.8 ggi left out of 17 but wont let me access it. I ran an anti virus prog a few weeks ago and it actually came up with ( harmless) stuff in files that are in the old e drive.

Tedfat

8. rude

rude

Have you tried System Restore?Hopefully you have a restore point from before this problem started....?

9. tedfat

tedfat Thread Starter

Hmmm i don't think i have tried that but in all honestly i cant remember.
    Bit rusty on system restore , its a long time ago i did it.
    Could you advice me on the best way please.
    Your help and time is greatfully appreciated.

tedfat

10. tedfat

tedfat Thread Starter

well managed to do system restore but it was switched off, also i cant run it as i dont have 200mb of space left to run it.
    Can i not run my computer from a specific date ( last known good configuration) or something?

11. tedfat

tedfat Thread Starter

Tried last known config but obviously with the time involved over the past few weeks that didnt work.
    Am i buggered ???
    LOL

Tedfat

12. Old Rich

Old Rich

You might try puting that drive in another pc and see if you can copy files to save

wrs

13. tedfat

tedfat Thread Starter

Tried that one thanks but all it came up was with 2 gig of hard drive.
    Not the 18 i am missing

tedfat

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/272698

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice