1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

1st time upgrading graphics driver question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by darthbubba, Jan 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. darthbubba

darthbubba Thread Starter

Sorry if I sound like a total idiot...I'm updating my graphics driver for the first time and I have some questions I'm hoping you can answer since I don't want to leave anything to chance:

The web site says I have to uninstall any previous graphics drivers. Won't this mess up the computer's ability to display? Will it affect my abillity to run the newer driver setup?

When I run the new driver's setup file will it automatically install it to the correct destination or do I have to specify where it goes?

I currently have a NVidia GeForce FX 5700 (my Dell's power supply only goes to 250W). I went to the NVidia website's driver download page. However, there's no specific listing for the FX 5700. They have GeForce 8800, GeForce Go 7 Series, Quadro and RIVA 128/128ZX along with a listing that just says "GeForce and TNT2". I grabbed the driver from the GeForce and TNT2 listing. This is correct, isn't it?

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Krelian

Krelian

Uninstalling your previous drivers shouldn't mess up your display, however you won't be able to play any games and the PC might run a little slow until you install the new drivers. You should always uninstall your GPU drivers before installing newer ones or it causes serious conflicts. Those are the correct Nvidia drivers to install I believe.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First of all, yes you need to uninstall the old driver. When you reboot windows will load its 16color generic driver. Your screen will look funny, however you will be able to load your new driver.

Next are you sure you have a real video card or do you have an onboard video chip? If you have an onboard, I would go to dell's site for the driver. If you have a real video card, then you can use the nvidia reference driver.

4. darthbubba

darthbubba Thread Starter

It's a video card in the AGP slot. Thanks for the advice.

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

Could I ask why you are installing a new driver? Used to be the thing we did all the time but lately, these all-in-one drivers for many cards has been crashing systems with old video cards and I would not be doing it unless trhere is a specific reason you know this driver solves.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!