1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

1TB external displaying only 500 GB and other problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by McP12345, Dec 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. McP12345

McP12345 Thread Starter

My cousin requested that I change her external HDD to FAT32 so it can be read by Apple PCs. I used Mini Tool Partition wizard to convert the HDD to FAT32 without damaging the files. The problem is my laptop suddenly overheated and shut down while the process was still 80%. The file is FAT32 format according to windows explorer but instead of displaying 981GB of total space, it displays 491GB total.

Some files are fine but I'm worried that 200GB files are corrupted including pictures. I tried to Surface Test it using Mini Tool Partition Wizard but it didn't detect anything wrong. Also, the program detects the external as having 981 GB but the used space is also doubled. The HDD itself can still be accessed, just that some files are corrupted.

As of now, I'm using the CMD command chkdsk /f and it seems to be going on forever saying Bad links in lost chain at cluster ###### and Lost chain-linked at cluster######. Orphan truncated. I started the command 6 hours ago and it's still running. Is this normal or should I do other fixes?

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    I would let it complete, stopping it somehow might do more harm than good.

Are the files on the external hard drive the only copies of the files ?

3. McP12345

McP12345 Thread Starter

Sadly yes, but after the incident I managed to backup the uncorrupted files. Though I'm too afraid to format it immediately because some of the corrupted files are pictures and I lost 2GB worth of it.

4. managed

First Name:
    Allan
  5. McP12345

McP12345 Thread Starter

6. McP12345

McP12345 Thread Starter

My mistake, it's free. If only I had paypal to donate...

7. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    I would let chkdsk complete, leave it overnight if necessary.

Yes it's a completely free program not a trial. It could take a long time to scan the hard drive so be patient.
    You could donate later if it works !

McP12345 likes this.
  8. McP12345

McP12345 Thread Starter

Yeah, though if I'm leaving it a few more hours, I'm going have to think of an alibi to my cousin.

9. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    You will probably run out of time whatever you try so why not tell her the truth ? It's not like you knew the laptop would overheat.

10. McP12345

McP12345 Thread Starter

Umm, it detected two types, one unknown file format and the FAT32. Is it correct if I chose the Unknown one?

Edit: I seem to have recovered some files using this program but I also posted the same problem on multiple threads to be sure. I tried Recuva but it gave me an odd file, something like this ««êºÿ__r.ë¼u while PhotoRec gave me the file itself (ready to be used)

Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
  11. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    You can try both but Fat32 is more likely to work IMO.

Any further progress ?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
  12. McP12345

McP12345 Thread Starter

So far I've recovered some files but does the program recover everything even when it's not corrupted?

13. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    I don't know.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1163097

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice