1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

1TB Rock Mobile External Drive won't read

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sexie25, Nov 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sexie25

sexie25 Thread Starter

It seems that the green liught comes on. When I plug into my computer, it reads and tells me that my drive is ready to use, only it does not show up on my drive list. How can get it to work to retreive data.

2. pip22

pip22

It sounds like Windows has merely failed to assign a drive-letter to it, hence Explorer can't show it.
    It's a common issue with drives that aren't permanently connected to the system.
    It's happened to me several times but there's an easy fix for that:
    Plug the drive in and wait for "ready to use" confirmation or the hardware connected sound.
    Now go to Control Panel > Admin Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management

At bottom right of computer management console, find the ribbon which relates to the external drive (it will probably say "Raw" and the capacity, but no volume name or letter).

Right-click that ribbon and choose "Change Drive Letter and Paths"
    The remaining steps are fairly straightforward.

3. sexie25

sexie25 Thread Starter

It gives it a drive but in the ribbon it says no media. What should I change the drive or path to?

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

The drive appears to be empty. You can use it for storage now if Disk Management says "Healthy". Make sure you have backups of everything because externals are the most unreliable storage.

5. sexie25

sexie25 Thread Starter

The external drive does not show up on my computer. When I open my folder, I only see the c drive.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

What does Disk Management say about it exactly? Does it have a drive letter now? Do you have your system set to hide empty drives and is the drive now empty?

Is this a new drive?

7. sexie25

sexie25 Thread Starter

It shows E drive under disk management. It says no media. I do not know how to tell if the the system set is hiding. I know the drive has information on it because I took everything off my computer. The drive wass reading at one time. When I attach the drive it tells me that it has loaded sucessfully and is rady for use, I just can not see it on my computer.

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

Are you sure that the E: drive is not your CD/DVD drive?

Are there any other drives listed that you don't recognize (scroll down)?

Go to Control Panel > Folder Options. Under the View tab, uncheck the box to hide empty drives.

So you have files on that drive? Do you have backups? If so, you can partition and format the drive.

If you have files on the drive and it is not registering, the drive may be faulty or the file system damaged. Has the drive been bumped or dropped or anything? Can you feel or hear it run when it is connected?

Where does the drive get its power? Do you have an external power supply? What model of drive?

9. sexie25

sexie25 Thread Starter

I can hear and feel the drive running. It was working prior to me going into the hospital on sept 30th. No one should have been using my drive because I had my laptop with me. The power has a cord that i plug into the wall or surge protector and a cord that goes into the usb port on the computer. Model hd2-su2

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

OK. It's running at least. That doesn't necessarily mean that it is not damaged.

But do you see your CD-ROM drive is Disk Management? The one that says "no media" must be an optical drive with no disk in it. Is that the case? Does your drive E: change in Disk Management when you put in a CD?

Are there any other drives in Disk Management and does your drive show under Drives in Device Manager?

11. sexie25

sexie25 Thread Starter

My cd drive is listed as D. The E drive is an USB drive

12. Elvandil

Elvandil

You can just erase everything on the drive and see if it will be usable again. In Disk Management, right-click and delete the volume. Then, right-click and create a new, basic volume.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026659

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice