1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

1TB Time Capsule with Virgin Media Wireless

Discussion in 'Networking' started by 12ian34, Oct 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 12ian34

12ian34 Thread Starter

Hello everyone,

I posted a problem of mine on here a while ago, about problems with wireless networking and my virgin media cable modem. Virgin Media have solved that recently, and i was upgraded with a new cable modem, and was given a new wireless router - Netgear WGR614. I own a Vista PC and a MacBook.

They gave me a setup CD to go with it, and i reluctantly followed it, now my Wi-Fi is working great.

I just purchased a 1TB Time Capsule and i want to use this as my main wireless router (due to it being 802.11n) and also to use its wireless HD function for my Macbook, and also its print server.

[​IMG]

I would like to know how to set up my Time Capsule, to make it work with my Virgin Media Cable Modem (currently connected through my Netgear wireless router then to my PC. I would also like to know if it is possible to connect my USB printer to the Time capsule and also to the non-wireless PC so i can simultaneously use it wirelessly and on my PC.

My main worry is that i set up my current wireless router using the setup CD and I'm not sure if the TC will work in conjunction with my router and using the CD.

Thanks for any help, i know i haven't explained my situation too clearly, so feel free to ask as many questions that you need to know!

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, the exact make/model of the cable modem would be useful. If this is truly a standard cable account, you can probably plug the new router in using system defaults and it'll connect to wired computers. Then you can use the web based setup to configure the wireless encryption and the print server function.

3. 12ian34

12ian34 Thread Starter

I have this one:

[​IMG]

Its the Ambit 255/256 one.

4. JohnWill

Reset the router to factory defaults by holding the reset button down for 15 seconds with power on. The following procedure should get you a connection with any broadband modem that is configured to use DHCP for the router connection, such as cable modems.

• Turn off everything, the modem, router, computer.
    • Connect the modem to the router's WAN/Internet port.
    • Connect the computer to one of the router's LAN/Network ports.
    • Turn on the modem, wait for a steady connect light.
    • Turn on the router, wait for two minutes.
    • Boot the computer.

When the computer is completely booted, let's see this.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

5. 12ian34

12ian34 Thread Starter

OK, when my Time Capsule arrives in a few days, i'll try to get it sorted.

In the mean time, i would really like it if someone else has used a time capsule with virgin media successfully!

Thanks

6. JohnWill

Since you have a basic cable modem, it really should be as simple as I previously stated.

7. 12ian34

12ian34 Thread Starter

It cam today!

It was brilliant!

It was easy to set up!

I can connect a USB hub to it.

Thanks for the help.

Ian

8. JohnWill

Glad it all worked out. :)

9. 12ian34

12ian34 Thread Starter

Ah

Another thing, I have a 160gb western digital external USB HD, and i would like it to be connected to the time capsule.

I have tried many times to connect it to the TC's USB port but it never shows up on my wireless mac. (nor on my wired pc). I have enabled file sharing in airport utility, and airport utility recognises it, but only gives its capacity and brand, no other info.

Please could someone help me share my HD!

10. 12ian34

12ian34 Thread Starter

bump...

11. JohnWill

What does the user's manual say about configuration of an attached drive? Do you have a link to the manual?

12. 12ian34

12ian34 Thread Starter

13. JohnWill

You're sure right about the lack of information! :D

I have no experience with this router, it appears you must use the Airport utility to configure and use the disk drive. Sorry I can't be of more help... :)

14. 12ian34

12ian34 Thread Starter

OK, thanks for your help anyway, the Airport Utility is also useless with my problem.

I'll visit the Apple shop or phone them up some time.

Thanks

15. JohnWill

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!