Not open for further replies.

2.5 Min Superfetch at Startup

6K views 16 replies 3 participants last post by  Gideon_Comp 
#1 ·
Does anyone notice that after statup is complete, you get a 2 and a half
minute of Prefetching going on. There is a 2 and a half minute of constant
hard disk activity during this time and from the Reliability and Performance
Monitor, it shows hundreds of:

svchost.exe (LocalSystemNetworkRestricted)
svchost.exe (secsvcs)

The top one is related to Superfetch.
The second one is related to Windows Defender.

Does anyone else get this?

By the way, here are some screenshots:

http://tezmania.com/mypc/start.jpg
http://tezmania.com/mypc/event.jpg

The first one is a screenshot in the Reliability and Performance Monitor
during the Prefetching. The second one I just took now of the Event Viewer
because I wondered why there are lots of Boot and Shutdown Performance
Monitoring errors. Not sure if this related or if this is normal or something
I can fix etc.

So I also don't know if I should be getting what is shown on screen shot 2.

See less See more
#3 ·
You could go to Task Scheduler and disable the creation of a restore point at each boot. I just changed mine to make 2 points at noon and midnight and the boot seems much faster.

With some Vista "tweakers", you can disable superfetch, disk scan at startup, and many more features, but I have not yet tracked down the registry entries for those changes. Vista Manager, TweakVI, Dtweak, and Vista Smoker are examples.

#5 ·
Look at the details. It is not an "error" in the usual sense. In most cases, an arbitrary limit regarding boot time or system performance has been exceeded and the system is trying to find and remedy the cause. There will be little else in this particular log except "errors" and "warnings".

I suspect that everyone has these since system performance, no matter how good, always has room for improvement.

So, what exactly is the problem that you have? The logs will show you how much time is devoted to each step of the boot process. From there, and the post-boot information, you can see what is occupying that 2.5 minute time-slot.

#9 ·
Yes, Vista. There is activity after boot, but more like 1 min. And so far as I know I have not disabled superfetch or any other memory-management processes.

#16 ·
No. Not that long. I'd guess 30 seconds before other items fill the screen. I have 41 startup programs with a startup delayer, so it takes a while for me, but not 2.5 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.