1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

2.5" Sata Hard Drive Not Reading(or showing up) Anywhere On My Computer, please help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by scotty15, May 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. scotty15

scotty15 Thread Starter

Does anyone know how to get a 2.5" SATA External Case to show up(plugged in by usb (2.0))? Ive spent over 2 days trying to figure it out, please let me know if you know how to fix this......:( below is the list of my problem & the things ive tried so far

Heres a little back ground:
    I used to have a Sony Vaio computer with a Hitachi Travelstar 5K100 Hard Drive. One day the screen just went black on start up and it says "Error loading operating system" & since then ive tried
    1) reinstalling Windows XP on the computer.....didn't work

2) recognizing the drive through ms dos.....didn't work

3) Opening the old computer & taking the Travelstar 5K100 hard drive & inserting it in a 2.5" Sata External Case and plugging the usb on to my current computer, it seemed like there was hope as the red light was solid red & when I felt the box, the hard drive seemed to be spinning and working shape, but still.....didn't work

4) I've went the "most popular solution" selected computer, right clicked Manage scrolled down to the left panel & clicked Disk Management, my hard drive is nowhere to be found, only my current drives in the computer so.....didn't work

4.5) I went to Device Manager right clicked all of the usb ports to make sure to turn off the power so that it would save enery or something like that, then restart...... still.....didn't work

5) I tried to find it in bios but I didn't seem to find nothing but my current drives & I head it is extremely dangerous to mess with anything in bios.....no luck

6) Since my drive is from an XP os & im currently on a Windows 7, I decided to plug the external case on to a functioning XP operated computer to see if that was the problem but, .....didn't work

7) I tried locating a driver in hopes of possibly getting the driver but no luck.

2. dai

dai

not seen in the bios

faulty data cable or [connection]

or drive has gone

3. scotty15

scotty15 Thread Starter

dai, I do not know enough about bios to determine if I did the right thing, I do know that since the disk is still spinning & the light is red there is some possibility that it might still be working.....any suggestions?

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You may or may not "see" a drive connected via usb in the bios; depends on the bios.

Next it seems to me that the drive has simply failed.
    If the drive has failed, it has failed and that is that. No amount of connecting is going to change that fact. If what is on the drive is important enough, then take it to a shop that does data recovery. Do get an estimate since this is NOT cheap; basic prices start at $250 or so and go way up from there.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1099379

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice