1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

2.6v RAM in 2.5v MOBO?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rmklotz4, Apr 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rmklotz4

rmklotz4 Thread Starter

Hey guys,

I want to upgrade my memory in my Dell Inspiron 9100. So, I went to Crucial.com to see what type of ram i needed. I was able to find some Kingston Value RAM on newegg.com cheaper. It matched all of the Specs of the ram on crucial, except the voltage was 2.6v instead of 2.5v. Is there a way to use this RAM in my computer? Is there a way to change that voltage setting in my BIOS? I have this RAM and I dont want to send it back unless I have to. Thanks!!!

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

That small an amount will make no difference. It's within the normal range of voltage fluctuatuions, anyway. If all else is right, that RAM will work fine.

3. rmklotz4

rmklotz4 Thread Starter

will it work fine? or just as good? will there be performance differences if i just returned it and bought the exact kind? Any stability issues?

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

It will work exactly the same as it would on 2.6 volts.

5. rmklotz4

rmklotz4 Thread Starter

GREAT!!! thank you so much. I was trying to change settings in my BIOS and i almost shipped them back! Thanks

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

That less than a 4% voltage difference. Very small and less than normal voltage ranges. So let us know how it works and if you see a difference.

7. rmklotz4

rmklotz4 Thread Starter

will do. Also, I'm open to any other opinions. Thank you.

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

If someone sees this (and they will), and they have opinions (and they are never shy about that), I'm sure they will express them.

9. win2kpro

win2kpro

10. rmklotz4

rmklotz4 Thread Starter

i have "KVR400X64SC3A/512" memory. Should I send it back and get new ram?

11. Elvandil

Elvandil

Did you try it? That's the best way to find out :D.

12. rmklotz4

rmklotz4 Thread Starter

I dont want to open the ram and risk not being able to return it.

13. Elvandil

Elvandil

I guess it's up to you. If you are sure that you ordered the right RAM and the numbers correspond, then it is probably right. Don't consider the voltage issue at all since that part is irrelevant.

There is nothing really to prevent a return even if opened if it is the wrong RAM.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/703120

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice