1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

2 7200rpm vs 1 10000rpm.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Derrick, Sep 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Derrick

Derrick Thread Starter

I was wondering if 2 sata 7200rpm drives setup in raid 0 is as fast as one sata 10000rpm by itself , only have enough for one or the other ,and its a space vs speed delema , If I buy one 10000 rpm now will I be able to buy another down the road to use raid?

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Two sata 7200 rpm disks in raid 0 is faster than one 10,000 rpm disk. If you buy one drive now and one later, you can setup raid. You do understand that setting up raid will destroy all data on both disks when you create the raid array.

If you do buy one now and one later, make sure they are the same make / model of drive.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Personally, I'd buy the single fastest drive and not screw around with RAID. The small speed boost isn't significant for most users, and the issues with RAID seem to pop up here all the time. :)

4. norton850

norton850

A few months back when I was building a system, I decided to go with 2 SATA 7200's rather than the 10,000 (which at the time was a WD Raptor). The reason was that my last system was someone noisy and the comments on this forum were that the Raptor was anything but quiet. Again I don't own one so these are second hand comments and there now may be quieter drives.

5. Derrick

Derrick Thread Starter

well i have the two western digital sata 80 gigs in place and ready too go, but having difficulty with how to set it up in bios for raid 0, the manual is vague and my new bios are somewhat different than the manual. Msi 865pe neo 2

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You setup raid in the raid controller bios. Not your system bios. If it is an onboard controller [rather than a regular raid controller] you will need to make sure that the controller is enabled in the system bios.

You will see a message as to how to enter the raid bios something like "ctrl H" Once in the raid bios you can create your array. Partitioning and formatting is done in xp or win2k setup; just like any drive. You will need to load the raid driver during setup when it says to hit F6 to load scsi driver.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/275328

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice