2.8E can't reach 3.5ghz. PC4000 RAM the way to go?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

optimummind

My Prescott 2.8E is currently overclocked to 3.4ghz with a FSB of 243. The CPU voltage on the Abit IS7 is 1.6625 V. The DDR voltage is 2.6V on my 2x512mb PC3200 setup. (1x512mb is a no-name Legacy brand and the other 1x512mb is a Mushkin value brand).

Through the BIOS, the 2x512mb DDR400 is running at 2.5-3-3-7 with a 5:4 ratio speed of 194.7mhz (194.7mhz x 2 = 389.4mhz effective).

I've tried to reach a stable 3.5ghz (FSB=250mhz) but running 3Dmark05 causes WinXP to BSOD. I've tried increasing the CPU voltage to 1.7125 V but it's doesn't help. I've tried loosening the memory timings to 3-3-3-8 but oddly, this caused a failure of WinXP to load (whereas booting the system with 2.5-3-3-7 at least got me to a stable Desktop).

What do you think is holding me back? BTW, the CPU is being watercooled by the Koolance CPU-200G and with AC in my room, the temp is around 46 to 47 C.

Will buying the Geil Ultra PC4000 DDR500 ram help me to reach a stable 3.5ghz or have I already reached the limit of my CPU overclock? I don't want to invest around $150 on the Geil PC4000 and find out that I still can't overclock to 3.5ghz.

All help/advice/feedback is greatly appreciated!

You haven't mentioned the powersupply you're using, one of the most important things when you're overclocking. I blew up a 300W running my current system (see sig) and replaced it with a 420W, which has been fine. Oddly enough I couldn't get a stable 3.5GHz either, 3.4GHz is rock-solid at a meagre 1.45V.

You've already achieved a nice overclock considering you have probably reached the limits of your generic RAM. Also, your are not giving your RAM extra voltage. 2.6V is only the default setting.

optimummind

Arcadion said:
You haven't mentioned the powersupply you're using,
My PSU is the Antec NeoPower 480W.

For the feeding my ram the default 2.6V, I did that because the RAM wasn't being overclocked beyond 200mhz since I was always the 5:4 CPU-to-RAM ratio.

You may have hit the wall with your Prescott.

You have a great overclock, now, go enjoy it.

:)

accat13 said:
@Arcadion what are using for cooling.Nice OC by the way.
Just the standard Intel cooler it ships with, plus a single 8cm exhaust fan and dual-fan PSU. It gets up to about 63C under heavy load, well below the 67C thermal ceiling ;)

optimummind said:
My PSU is the Antec NeoPower 480W.

For the feeding my ram the default 2.6V, I did that because the RAM wasn't being overclocked beyond 200mhz since I was always the 5:4 CPU-to-RAM ratio.
Your PSU should be fine, then. My guess is that 3.4GHz is the limit for socket478 chips, socket775 is spec'd at a higher maximum power delivery.

480W is bare minimum ... DFI boards are about ready to state for their boards that 480W is minimum requirement....

even so, the prescotts and even all newer P4's run very hot, so cooling is a thing to watch for.

but imo, i think you OC'd it as far is it could

optimummind

TypeSK said:
but imo, i think you OC'd it as far is it could
I'm beginning to think that what you say is probably true for my CPU. Oh well..next time I'll start off with more brand-name components for the mobo and the RAM. :)

At least I saved ~$145. I was just about to hit the "Order" button when I realized I should post my question first to the forums for advice. :D

well, id also say that there is a difference between "value-ram" and other rams that are more expensive. sometimes, a brand can make a huge difference (like, OCZ works great with DFI, but Corsair can be harder to get to work with DFI boards,etc) . so that you should start with. maybe new mobo and ram will prob make it OC better.

look at spending your money there first.

also, what kind of cooling? WC?

optimummind

Yes, both my CPU and GPU are water-cooled. Thx for the tip about the mobo+RAM combo. I'll have to keep that in mind next time I buy a new mobo.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online