1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

2 AMD processors. WHICH ONE?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jmeasy, Aug 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jmeasy

jmeasy Thread Starter

alright so im lookin to buy a new processor ive been lookin at an amd athlon 4400+X2 socket 939 or an amd athlon 4600+X2 socket 939.

heres the specs for the 4400+X2

Processor Speed + Class
    Processor Class: AMD Athlon 64 X2
    Processor Speed: 2.2 GHz
    AMD Model: 4400+
    Bus Speed: 1 GHz
    Physical + Memory Specifications
    Processor Socket: AMD® Socket 939
    Number of Processor Cores: 2
    L1 Cache Size: 128 kB x 2
    L2 Cache Size: 2 MB
    Included Fan Type: ATX

heres the specs for 4600+X2

Processor Speed + Class
    Processor Class: AMD Athlon 64 X2
    Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
    AMD Model: 4600+
    Bus Speed: 1 GHz
    Physical + Memory Specifications
    Processor Socket: AMD® Socket 939
    Number of Processor Cores: 2
    L1 Cache Size: 256 kB x 2
    L2 Cache Size: 1 MB
    Included Fan Type: ATX

as u may notice the 4400 has an L2 cache of 1mb x 2 while the 4600+ has a L2 cache of 512kb x 2

so im just wondering whats better for gaming. im an avid gamer. just wondering what would be better. thanks ;)

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I would go with the 4600+ I like clockspeed over the cache.

Now the bad news. If you are going to use the board in your sig, you will most likely have problems. Then nforce4 chipset does not really support the dual core chips. If you do not use any usb devices, it will be ok. If you do use usb, you will have problems.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Also since your 3800+ runs at 2.4Ghz you really don't want to go with a processor that has a slower clock speed or you might experience slightly lower performance in some games. Not all applications and games benefit from a second core.

AMD also has a utility to optimize dual core performance: http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_13118,00.html

As long as you don't use USB hard drives you should be fine, all my other USB devices work just fine on my NForce4 motherboard. I've transfered 2GB of data to a PocketPC without issue, it did bluescreen though when updating the ROM.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

T6 have you tried your dual core / nforce with other usb storage devices like a digital camera, camcorder, etc?
    I am just wondering, thanks.

5. jmeasy

jmeasy Thread Starter

well. im usin an internal hard drive. so there shouldnt be any problems. but alot of people tell me that the 1mb x 2 cache will be better for gaming. so the 4400 would be better. but i just would like a few more examples

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I've use a digital camera(HP something), USB keyboard/mouse, several USB flash drives, USB MP3 player, PocketPC(Dell Axim X51V, 1GB to 2GB of map transfers, and loading various software), 2 USB Sidewinder game controllers. Those all worked except the one time I tried updating the buggy(has issues with the CF card slot) Dell Axim, it caused a blue screen during the update procedure, but worked the second time around.

Cache isn't as important as clock speed on the A64's for gaming. Generally the higher the AMD model number the better the performance is according to AMD, for the same series of processors.

Check out Tom's CPU charts: http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html?modelx=33&model1=235&chart=60&model2=234

Also note that when they were run the A64 3800+ could outperform the 4400 and 4600 in some areas. With the new AMD patch, newer chipset, sound, and video card drivers, and the latest patches for games the X2's should be edging up in performance against single core processors.

7. jmeasy

jmeasy Thread Starter

im havin a hard time reading that chart. what does the red. selected mean. on the 4600+

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Its an interactive charts. You can select any two processors from the two drop down boxes to compare. You can also slect what benchmark you wish to compare the two processors on. The two processors you select are highlighted red to stand out. At the bottom of the chart it tells you if higher numbers are better or lower numbers are better.

9. jmeasy

jmeasy Thread Starter

awww i see lol. how come it shows intel gettin higher scores. when ovbisouly amd is better for gaming

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Maybe AMD isn't always better...

11. GripS

GripS

While the dual core your planning on will be a good price i suggest you consider a couple of things.

1. Intels Core Duo is faster then the best AMD has to offer. A little overclocking on the mid range core duo's and you've got a hell of a fast chip(fast without overclocking as well).

2. If you are intent on buying an AMD get the AM2 socket processor. Better upgrade path.

No problems with USB on my DFI Lanparty nf4 Ultra D. Using a USB keyboard and mouse. USB camera. USB All in 1 printer. USB logitech rumble pad. Not one problem with any of them.

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Do you use an usb external drive? That is where the "issue" occurs.

13. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I don't on my home system(I would if the problem didn't exist as I have several IDE hard drives but I just install them internally when I need to backup my system). Many home users don't have USB external drives either so as far as they are concerned it is a non-issue for them.

14. GripS

GripS

No USB drive. No need for it. If that's the only issue I don't think that is enough reason to keep me from getting an Nforce 4 chipset motherboard.

15. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Until they decide to get one.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/489977

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice