1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

2 ATA Hard Drives seen as SCSI

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by shutter, Mar 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shutter

shutter Thread Starter

In a recent attempt to upgrade my video card I have come across a strange Hard Drive issue.

My system is a Dell 2.8 GHZ (running XP) and I purchased a new 256MB AGP video card to replace the stock 128MB... as a precaution before I did this, I took out the ATA adapter card in a PCI slot that runs 2 seagate ATA drives. After my installation was complete I put the ATA card and drives back in.

Now my Device Manager sees them both, but it reads them as SCSI drives and my ATA adapter as a SCSI adaptor, and It thinks one drive is empty, and the other needs to be formated.

My remedy was to re-install the driver for the ATA card, no luck, so I checked the jumpers and bios settings, no luck... called and spent 1 hour with Seagate level 2 support, no luck (we did test both drives and seem to be fine)

My E drive has a capacity of 279 GB and there is about 80GB of data there and my G drive has about 185GB on it with a capacity of around 200GB.

Does anyone have a suggestion on where to go from here? (With out reformating my drives and losing 250GB of data)

Thanks in advance.

2. shutter

shutter Thread Starter

Does anyone have any ideas?

3. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy shutter...

Not really, just a few questions...

What is the manufacturer of the PCI card?

What OS are you using?

Did you plug it back into the same PCI slot that is was in before?

And...

When you re-installed the drivers, did you remove the card from Device Manager first?

4. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    I have a question. Are these drives ATA (as in IDE) or Serial ATA (as in SATA) drives. If IDE I have noticed that device manager even recognizes my Promise IDE Card as a SCSI controller and the drives attached to it as Scsi This did not effect perfomance of the drives in anyway though. And this is with WinXP Home SP2 installed and the latest FIrmware updates for the card.

5. shutter

shutter Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies gents!(y)

My card is an Adaptec ATA ASH-1233
    http://www.adaptec.com/en-US/support/sata/ata/ASH-1233/

My system is running XP (With all the latest updates)

Yes, I did put the card in the same slot.

No, when I re-installed the drivers I just installed them over the top of the old driver

Both drives are ATA and the card is also ATA, so I'm not sure why it recognises it as SCSI

I wonder if my ATA card is causing the issue, but Device Mgr says it is working properly.

6. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Ok...

What I'd do if it were mine, is uninstall the card in Safe Mode ( and any "ghost" or associated cards, if they're there you'll see them )...

Then reboot in Normal mode, and reinstall the card with the drivers that came with the card ( the original drivers you installed )...

7. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    To be honest I think (but I may be wrong on this one) that the BIOS on the card is what identifies it as a SCSI device. As I said my Promise Ultra 133TX2 has always been identified in Device Manager as a SCSI controller and the drives attached to it were also identified as SCSI drives. They were indeed IDE Drives (ATA). I am not sure if Optical drives attached to the controller card would also be identified as SCSI I assume they would but I never had an Optical Drive connected to it. Does your card go through the BIOS Loading before the drives attached to it are recognized by the system as it does with the Promise Cards?

8. shutter

shutter Thread Starter

Thanks for the idea, but it produced the same results... guess my system just sees the drives as SCSI.

Any ideas on how to get to my data on these drives without spending bit $$$ on recovery software/services?

9. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Have you taken a look in Disk Management to see if the drives are listed there?

10. shutter

shutter Thread Starter

Yeah, both drives are seen by Disk Management

E drive: listed as healthy and having no data
    Capacity of 300 GB and I know there is around 80 GB of data there
    (This is my master drive off the pci card)

G drive: listed as healthy but says it needs formated
    Capacity of 200GB and there is about 175GB of data there
    (this is my slave drive off the pci card)

11. jackdw

jackdw

Try them in a different PC and either transfer them over LAN for backup or store them on the slave PC. Then if you muck it all up, it won't matter.

12. shutter

shutter Thread Starter

Sadly, I don't have another PC available to do this... but even if I did, I am not able to access my data... I can see both drives, not the data, when I look into the drive directory it shows that the E drive is empty and the G drive as needing to be formatted.

13. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    As jackdw says, try them connected as slave drives in a different PC or even as a slave drive in your pc connected to the onboard IDE controller. Even if you have to temporarily disconnect your Optical drive to accomplish this it may help you. Is your hard drive in boot drive in your computer large enough to store the data you want to save?

14. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Connecting the drives to an onboard COntroller rather than the PCI card may give you access to the data stored on them. Your problem may actually be in the PCI Card itself or the driver for the controller. This may also be a trouble shooting step to see if it is.

15. shutter

shutter Thread Starter

I'll try this tonight when I get home, thanks!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/551320

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice