2 cable modems?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

changll

Hi,

Just curious... instead of spending $300+ on wireless PCI & router and sharing internet access between 2 computers, can I simply purchase another cable modem to use for the other computer without the Internet connection? Can two cable modems work simultaneously in one household?

Thanks.

Louis

Actually you can... I believe you only need another cablemodem & ethernet card... With one already in the same house you might get a discount on the second one as well.

Call them & see.

Savvy :)

changll
If stringing another ethernet cable is possible you can go up to 100ft without degradation. Linksys has a fine 4 port router which can be had for 80.00 from amazon.com. Normal cost is 149.00.
I traded off the cost of 15.00 extra a month from RoadRunner for another IP address and Modem and decided a ten month payback was worth the investment. Currently we have four computers running through the router with no problems.
Here info on the units.
<a href=http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?prid=20&grid=5>Linksys 4 port</a>
and
<a href=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/browse/-/598262/103-8633345-4179027> Amazon.com</a>
Dave

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online