1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

2 computers - 1 DSL line - no networking

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jtn3833, Jul 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jtn3833

jtn3833 Thread Starter

I have two computers I would like both to share my DSL line but they are very far apart (one's in the basement, the other is on the second floor). Is there an easy way to just plug both computers into the phone line/ethernet/DSL adapter and log them into the ISP individually?

I know I could do it wirelessly, or running a router and a very long ethernet cable but I'm just wondering if this would work? Though I suspect not.

Thanks,
    JTN

2. pinntech

pinntech

I highly doubt that your ISP will allow it. You will have to use a router or purchase two DSL connections. Well, that's what I suspect! I'd use the router which would be much cheaper!

3. Skydawg

Skydawg

If you bought home DSL, Pinntech is correct, they only allow one connection, you will have to use a router, wired or wireless.

4. wordsmith

wordsmith

Reading this I have a question, how far apart can a wireless router be??

5. Skydawg

Skydawg

Depends on the router you get. :) Signal strength can be an odd entity, you have to read up on the product before you buy it, and it will tell you how far and and what speeds. Newer products hit the market everyday, some saying up to 500,000 square feet of uninterrupted coverage.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Hawking Tech has a number of products that will help you increase your wireless range. The root page is Hawking Hi-Gain™ WiFi Range Extending Products.

Some of the more interesting products are this Hawking [HSB2] Hi-Gain WiFi Signal Booster, which can be used on either end of a wireless connection to boost the signal power.

Another way to increase your signal strength is by the use of hi-gain antennas. You can choose from omni-directional or directional models, here are a couple of examples.

Hawking [HAI7SIP] Hi-Gain 7dBi Omni-Directional Antenna

Hawking [HAI15SC] Hi-Gain 15dBi Corner Antenna

7. wordsmith

wordsmith

Thank you for your help. I will look into all of the possibilites and check for new products once our home is finally finished. This seems to be a product not be buy ahead of time. Thank you for making that clear.

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Yep, I'd get the "lay of the land" first, then figure out what you need to solve any issues.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/595834

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice