1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

2 computers - 1 network adapter

Discussion in 'Networking' started by FallFromINFINITY, Mar 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FallFromINFINITY

FallFromINFINITY Thread Starter

Alright, I've got 2 desktop computers, but only one wireless network adapter. They're both currently running windows XP. The adapter is already set up on one of them. I've recently set up a network over the LAN, simply just network drives and remote desktop, between my server, the family computer, and my laptop. I have a second computer, in addition to the server, as a common use PC for myself, but it has no internet.

I would like to set up the second computer with internet too, essentially a wired ad-hoc connection, with network/internet sharing.

Does Windows XP already come with settings or a program for this? If so,what is it? And what connection do I need between the 2 computers? USB/Ethernet/IEEE1394, or does it need something older, like a serial connection?
    If XP doesn't have settings and/or a program for this, is there a free program available to XP that would let me?

2. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Is there a reason you don't want to get a simple router that would take care of all the networking between all computers including the server?
    A wired connection between two computers can be set up through the ethernet adapters but you'll need another adapter of some sort (wireless or another ethernet adapter) on one of them to connect with the Intenet directly or through another network point. If one of the computers is connected directly to the Internet, that computer would run the ICS (internet connection sharing) protocol.
    All would sure be a lot easier with a simple wireless/wired router though.

3. FallFromINFINITY

Well, between the positioning of everything, and my lack of money, I was trying to figure out a way to do this, with what I currently have available.

Its currently set up as such:

Laptop - Router - Family PC
    . . . . . . . . . |
    . . . . . . . Server

Second PC

The router/modem are in one room, with the family PC, my laptop, is wherever it needs to be, and the server and my second computer are together in my room. I cant just run wires from the router, and i cant afford a new adapter of any sort.

So I was looking for some way, simple or complex, to share internet from the server, to the other.
    The server has a USB wireless adapter, and the router/adapter are both wireless N, so I'm not worried about that.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You would need to connect the server and Second PC by ethernet cable (cross-over if neither computer has an auto-sensing port). So, if you lack an ethernet adapter in either or both your are out of luck as far as not buying anything?

What OS is on the server?

5. FallFromINFINITY

The server and computer are running Windows XP.
    I have spare network cards, and both motherboards have onboard ethernet ports.

By the sound of it, I do have everything needed...
    So on which computer do I need to set it up on, and what do I need to do?

I'm just getting into networking, so I haven't fully explored Windows and such.

Oh, and I probably should have made this clear at the start, the server is a website server.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Best is to bridge the wireless and ethernet connections (in Network Connections).

Alternative (don't try both at same time) is to enable Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) on the connection (the wireless for you) that has internet access.

7. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

WirelessG USB adapters are only $10 to $15 too. WirelessN will cost two and a half or 3 times as much but if you don't need the extra speed or distance, I think that's a viable and very cheap solution since you already have the N router.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    A wireless adapter will look even cheaper after he plays around with bridging or ICS for awhile. :D

9. FallFromINFINITY

Well, I do own a Wireless G adapter, and it works... partially... While it is connected, it seems to knock everything connected to the router offline every 10 minutes or so. But that's a problem for another forum, at another time.

Returning to the main topic, I have yet to try the ICS or bridging, due to the server upkeep. When I take it down for maintenance at my regular time, I will certainly see how well this works. And who knows, depending on the success of this, I may end up building another computer from my scraps and setting it up on the connection too. :D

My insanity aside...
    Thanks to all for your help. If I have any trouble, you'll be hearing for me again.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/986665

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice