1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

2 computers, can I connect them?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sarahmuriel, Jan 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sarahmuriel

sarahmuriel Thread Starter

:rolleyes: I've seen some cables to connect 2 systems, 1 CRT, in a computer catalog. Is it a good idea, one computer has Windows 98 and the other is the new one with XP home. Any advise would be great.
    ALso plan on buying and external CD burner, read the thread talking about the NEC DL ND-3500A. Found it in EBAy, any other suggestion on where can I get it at :D cheap price.

2. Rockn

Rockn

Why not one PC with multiple operating systems.

3. sarahmuriel

Sounds great,how do you do that?

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I believe the cables you're referring to are really a KVM switch (keyboard, video, mouse). A KVM switch and two sets of cables allow you to share one monitor, one keyboard, and one mouse with two computers. There are USB models and PS/2 models. Which one you should get depends on how your mouse and keyboard are currently connected to your computer.

5. sarahmuriel

Yes, those are the cables I saw, is this worth my time and money, will one in Windows 98 and one in XP create a problem? But really is this worth it? The idea sounds great but I am still trying to convince myself. It will still be 2 separate computers that will not talk to ea other? Am I right?

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

The two computers only share the monitor, keyboard, and mouse. It doesn't matter what operating systems they're using. They do not "see" each other or "talk" to each other. KVM cables do not create a network.

7. sarahmuriel

Thanks, lets see if I convince myself not to get another gadget.

8. sarahmuriel

Thanks, lets see if I convince myself not to get another gadget. :D

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/316311

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice