2 Day old hard drive says not formatted

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Albatross77

I bought a verbatim 2.5 mobile hard drive usb 500gb (62873) 2 days ago. I was transferring files onto it running XP no problems. When I turned it on the next time says not formatted and slows my pc right down. Have tried reconnecting several times. Very weird :confused: I guess I can reformat as long as my freind hasn't deleted the files I just copied. This should not happen with a new hard drive. Can someone help me out here? I just bought this drive because my other wd external died after less than a year!

crjdriver

I guess I can reformat as long as my freind hasn't deleted the files I just copied
First of all data you do not backup is data you do not care about. All drives will fail, it is only a question of when your drive will fail.

Next external drives are just not as reliable as an internal drive. This is for a number of reasons;
1 Heat. External drives that do not have their own cooling fan are NOT made for continuous duty. They are made to switch ON and backup what you want then switch OFF.
2 The extra interface ie the usb/firewire interface. It adds something else to fail.

If you are having problems with a 2 day old drive, return it and get another one.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online