1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

2 Dead Power Supplies need to Ressurect Dead Emachine T2792 Help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mihmz326, Mar 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mihmz326

mihmz326 Thread Starter

:( I'm In a dilemma with An Emachines T2792 I received the pc from a friend whom knows I work on PC's on the side when I plugged it in I found it to be stuck turned on
    The green indicator light was lit like it was turned on, but no signal was stated on the monitor,, then after trying unsuccessfully to press and Depress many times did nothing
    so I unplugged and replugged in the same, so I unplugged again, and messed with button some more then replugged in , nothing no green indicator light then i noticed a soft whistling and clicking sounds from power supply, so I got another brand new power supply {correct power supply} when I plugged tower in it lit the green indicator light on tower then softly went out
    I tried pressing in power button nothing no response.
    Now my question is I am pretty sure I need to buy another power supply now
    But I need some ideas on what to replace to get the pc up and running again??
    would it be the switch???
    or the motherboard????

2. LuckyStrike502

LuckyStrike502

I had a similar problem with an emachines T2825. When I plugged it in, it automatically came on, and wouldn't turn off unless I unplugged it. It wouldn't POST or anything. After testing everything, I found out that the motherboard was bad. So that would be my guess, is that it could possibly have a bad motherboard.

3. huggabugg

huggabugg

Is there a special type of motherboard to get, I mean spec wise?

4. GripS

GripS

It would likely have to be the exact same motherboard spec wise in order for the current installation of windows. OEM copy's of windows(one that came with the PC) won't re-install with an off the shelf motherboard in most cases. In order for the current install of windows to work, the replacement motherboard would need to use the same chipset and have nearly identical specs to the old motherboard. Some will say they have got theirs to work with the same install. However, if and when you try and re-install you will be out of luck.

If you wanted to try and eliminate the power switch as the problem you could try opening the case and unplugging the switch cable (follow the wire from the front of the case leading to the case power switch). Then try jumping the two pins the cable was plugged into with a piece of metal like a small flat head screwdriver. If the system won't boot then I would try a replacement PSU of equal wattage and amp spec(note the sticker on the side of the PS) from a local PC recycle store.

Might also take a look at the motherboard while your in there. Check the cylinders protruding from the motherboard and make sure the tops aren't popped open and that there aren't any buldges/leaks. These would be the capacitors on the motherboard.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/556254

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice