1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

2 device 1 Mac address

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Butkustoy, Mar 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Butkustoy

Butkustoy Thread Starter

I have a lynxsis router that I am using in a local network with a 16 gig switch. I have 2 sharx IP cameras that have different ips but only 1 Mac address. I can access each camera at different IP addresses within network. Only 1 camera works....sometimes 2nd camera will show but not normally. How do I have 2 Mac addresses?

Attached Files:

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

That's the job of the manufacturer to make sure every device they sell have different MACs.

3. dlipman

dlipman

First Name:
    David
    Do you mean Linksys Router ?
    What Model router ?
    You wrote "16 gig switch", Do mean a 16 port Gigabit Ethernet Switch ( aka; E-Switch ) ?
    What is its Make and Model ?

The Linksys Router connects to the E-Switch and the two Sharx IP cameras are connected to the E-Switch - Yes ?

As @lunarlander indicated, each device has its own unique MAC address set by the manufacturer. The Sharx IP cameras default to DHCP and once you get an IP you can look at the Router and see what devices obtained an IP. Then you can use HTTP ( Ex: http://192.168.2.103 ) at the IP address and statically set the IP address as well as set the security on the device. I suggest in the Router, make sure the Router DHCP has a range that is NOT used. I see from the graphic the LAN is 192.168.2.x

You may want to set the DHCP range from 192.168.2.25 ~ 192.168.2.254
    IP addresses 192.168.2.2 ~ 192.168.2.24 would be used for static assignment including the IP cameras.

NOTE: Sharx IP cameras have a reset switch to bring the cameras to their factory default. The reset switch is located in different locations dependent on whether they are Indoor or Outdoor models.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1224376

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice