1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

2 Different reports on RAM

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Deaneg, Oct 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Deaneg

Deaneg Thread Starter

I have an older Dell tower workstation with dual Xeon processors. It works fine but it's RAM is limited to 512K. I am running XP with SP2. A few years ago I updated it from 256K RAM to 512K. This year I updated the monitor to a LCD type so it turns on much faster. Now I can see the very first screen as it boots and that screen says it has 256K of RAM! But when I run the system check in control panel it says I have 512K. Which one should I believe is accurate? Physically is has 512K installed but I sometimes have my doubts if it is all working due to occasional bouts of slow operation.
    Thanks for any insight.

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    What's the 7-character service tag number on that old Dell tower workstation?

Why hasn't Windows XP SP2 been upgraded to SP3?

RAM is in MB and not in KB.

--------------------------------------------------------

3. win2kpro

win2kpro

A workstation with dual Xeon processors likely came with ECC RAM. Count the chips on the original RAM module that came with the machine. If it is divisible by 3 or 5 it is ECC (Parity) RAM. Count the chips on the Ram module you added. If it is not divisable by 3 or 5 it is NON-ECC (Non Parity) RAM. In Many cases ECC and NON-ECC will work together and in other cases the mismatched RAM causes problems.

4. Deaneg

Deaneg Thread Starter

The service number on this Dell is JG2LK11. I can't take it apart right now to count the RAM chips but as I recall I did a lot of research to be sure I bought a compatible RAM type. Thanks.

5. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    According to service tag number JG2LK11, that desktop is a Dell Precision WorkStation 530.

Here is the Dell support site that's specific ONLY to that desktop.

According to its system configuration section, it was manufactured in June 2003 and came with 2 - 256 MB modules and 2 - 128 MB modules of 400 MHz ECC RDRAM.

Here is the technical specifications site for it.

------------------------------------------------------

6. Deaneg

Deaneg Thread Starter

flavallee, Thanks for that link. I can't recall where I read that it was only good for up to 512 Meg (not K, that was a slip back to the old days). I'll have to take it apart and photo the insides. Maybe I can find a picture on the web to view the layout of the RAM. I assume each processor has it's own set of RAM.
    The reason I never upgraded to SP3 is that I never knew about it and it is running OK.

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    win2kpro is the Intel guru here, so you can discuss those dual xeon processors with him.

-------------------------------------------------------

Right-click MY COMPUTER, then click Properties.

How much RAM is listed at the bottom of the "General" tab?

That desktop supposedly came with 768 MB pre-installed(256 X 2, 128 X 2).

------------------------------------------------------

8. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Cpu-Z should tell you what Ram you have :- http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

Post back with what it shows on the Memory and SPD tabs, use the drop arrow on the SPD screen to check each ram slot.

9. Deaneg

Deaneg Thread Starter

Sorry for slow response. No power here for 6 days due to snowstorm. Running on a generator today.
    RIght clicking on My Computer, Properties, says I have 512 Megabytes of RAM. I still don't have an answer for why it says 256 on the bootup screen.

10. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    The best way to find out how many RAM modules are in that computer and what their capacities are and how many RAM slots it has is to open the case.

Whatever the setup is, it can use at least another 512 MB.

--------------------------------------------------------

11. win2kpro

win2kpro

The original configuration indicates the machine shipped with (2) modules Rambus Inline Memory Module, 256, 400M, 128X18, Error Correction Code, 16C, W and (2) modules 2 7D109 Rambus Inline Memory Module, 128, 400M, 64X18, Error Correction Code, 4C

This would have total 768MB of memory. In post #1 you stated; "A few years ago I updated it from 256K RAM to 512K." By your statement I would ASSUME you removed the (2) 128MB modules to make room for (2) 256MB modules that you added since with Rambus memory all RIMMS (memory slots) must be populated with either a Rambus module or a CRIMM (Continuity Module).

Is this correct? If this is correct, I believe it's possible tha you put the wrong Rambus modules in when you added RAM to the board.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1024388

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice