1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

2 English questions - HELP!

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by Programm3r, Sep 20, 2003.

Advertisement
  1. Programm3r

Programm3r Thread Starter

Ok. Here is the first one:

"Since my family were not going to[...]"

- Why do you think the writter used the verb were instead of was, when speaking of her family?

Pls help! I have run out of ideas! ( pls correct me if i used wrong syntax/verb )

And the second one, which wants a little imagination to be ansewred, but whatever you know about this passage is what i also know ( corect me and here if i used wrong syntax pls ):

" [...]I entered a doorwhich said "Enter without knocking , if you please"[..] "

- Give a possible reason why that man wanted people to enter without knocking at the door?

Pls help! Just through some ideas here.. The passage doesn't say anything about that man.. so let your imagination work...

Thanks in advance. I hope i get valuable answers as soon as possible ( very soon.. ), and i hope someone will tell me if i used wrong syntax in my 2 underlined 'semi-questions' or somewhere else.
    thx

2. pronute

pronute

Is this for you to cheat on a test or something? Nobody here will help you do that. Taking notes and paying attention helps a lot better then people feeding you the answers

3. KeithKman

KeithKman

I am not that high in English but:

Maybe the person that lived there was handicapped and could not answer the door? :confused:

4. Programm3r

Oh man! I don't believe what i have just read. No, it's not a test. It's a passage which comes with 10 questions and i answered the 8, and i can not answer these 2 ( especially the first one ), because it is something which depends on the English language, not how you understood the passage.
    And if you really wanted to help ( you simply didn't want to ), you could just post a quick reply and tell me if i used wrong syntax in the way i typed my 2 questions.

Thanks for the help man, but no... I think it is because he didn't want to be disturbed with the noice of the knocking...but it is a very stupid question.

*There were 35 views, and noonne except from Kman helped me... I hope that someone will help me. Today is Sunday and tomorow is the lesson, and i don;t want to go there without answering these 2(...basically 1 - the first one ) questions.

5. Programm3r

I NEED HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

6. tomlunt

tomlunt

Programm3r -

Please be patient. I don't think the lack of responses has anything to do with not WANTING to help. Personally, English is my only language and i think the first statement is just plain wrong (it should read "was" not "were". As for the second, i don't know either.

Sorry to not be any help, but I'm sure I'm not the only one here that doesn't know the answers.

Tom

7. Merry_Meet

Merry_Meet

Hi there. I had to scratch my head and think waaaaay back to correct grammer, but that hurt. (Word's grammer checker accepted both, but ...)
    If you are certain that "were" is correct - Perhaps the first one is a teacher's trick? My answer would be "her editor was not on the ball!"

To the second one
    ... I visualized a scared insurance salesman writing up a failure report to home office - a very old house (think The Munsters), and the scene was of of a Halloween type. The reasons behind the door could be of a prank; to avoid waking the dead; so as not to disturb the old matron upstairs
    ... I visualized a sibling writing to relatives abroad - suburban house, with toys scattered about the lawn. He approach the door ... The reasons could be of newborns asleep; the mom upstairs needing rest, etc.

Are we on your track yet?
    cheers
    Amy

8. Programm3r

Ok, first forget the answer to my 2nd question, it is ( actually it might be ) because the man doesn't want to be disturbed by the noice of the knocking.

Now.... whatt am i suppose to answer to the first question :(...?? Tomorow the teacher will test me, and i am supposed to know all the questions; otherwise he is going to act like a baby, and because of a recent incident in the classroom, he take this chance and do thatt and that.

So... :-(((( What am i gonna do? A man told me that it is becasue it is negative ( were NOT going to... ), but i didn't get him, and i think that's not the reason....

...Well, at least, PLSEASE, tell me if i used wrong syntax in my 2 'semiquestions' ( the underlined ones ) or anywhere else in the text...

I hope you wil...

9. Programm3r

>he take
    he will take

10. tomlunt

tomlunt

I'm convinced ... the first one is incorrect. I'm not an english teacher, but i is a college graduate. :)

TL

11. pronute

pronute

Like I said pay attention in class, and take notes. Cheating only has one result, cheating you out of an education!

12. Tuppence2

Tuppence2

Hello,

It's because the speaker is talking in the singular, i.e. about a group of people not groups of people.

You would say the families were, etc.

but,

the family was.

I hope this help. Please ask again if it doesn't.

Bye,
    Penny.

for example:

People often say "The Government WERE doing.......etc.

when, the Government being only ONE Government

it's as correct to say

"The Government WAS.........etc.

13. Tuppence2

Tuppence2

Hello again,

I don't understand the second question. Do you want the sentence rearranged to read more clearly - it seems they are asking you what you understand about the question?

I could put the words in a different order, but I can't answer why you think the man wanted to enter the door with the message on it.

Best of luck with the test.

Bye,
    Penny.

The sentence puts forward the notion that you may enter the door if you are pleased to, but to do it without knocking. As to why you would want to enter, well there are many reasons!!

14. glo

glo

15. Tuppence2

Tuppence2

Hello glo,

Thanks very much for the link.

Bye,
    Penny. :)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166205

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice