1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

2 ext HDD issues

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lkshis, Oct 29, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. lkshis

lkshis Thread Starter

Hiya

1. My Seagate Backup HDD is either not detected or takes a long time to be detected (literally hours). Does anyone know why this happens, other than the drive is dying? On the occasion I was able to run chkdsk on it, no errors were found. I have tried to plug the drive into another machine, same result.

2. When I boot up my machine, my WD My Passport HDD will run slowly, as if there were a read lag. If I eject and plug it back, it will run fine. What may be the issue? Drive works well otherwise.

TIA!

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Could be the USB component of either your PC or the external drive. Since problem occurs with both external drives, I tend to suspect the PC USB component. Have you tried other USB ports ? Sometimes a port will fail.

3. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    The computer is examining the USB connected drive to see if there is a bootable option.
    The best way is to wait until the computer has booted up and Windows has loaded before plugging in any external hard drive.
    The only exception to this is if you want the computer to boot from the external hard drive.

4. lkshis

lkshis Thread Starter

Unlikely, but will try, thanks.

Sorry I should have been clearer. I mean *after* I have booted up the system, the HDD will run slowly. The system can't be still looking for a bootable drive?

Btw to avoid the lag, I have actually done what you suggested - leave the HDD unplugged at bootup and plug it in only when the Windows screen appears. This works but other ext. drives haven't required this. Strange.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1234916

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice