1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

2 external hard drives + power failure = ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jceac, Oct 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jceac

jceac Thread Starter

ok i hope i'm just being paranoid on this but i was backing up my data from a 500 gb buffalo ex hd to a 1 tb one when there was a power outage. i was currently transferring files when it happened and windows told me that the files i was moving were lost. i don't care so much for those particular files themselves and my laptop was fine (i think) because the battery kicked in, but all the other stuff that were in the two hard drives, can they be corrupted too? also are my hard drives still ok? healthy?

i had everything hooked up to a 4k joules surge protector.

what can i do to protect my hds from things like this in the future?

thanks.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Sudden disconnection of external drives, especially during file transfers, means almost certain file system corruption. Run chkdsk /f on both drives. That is usually sufficient.

It sounds like you've taken the needed precautions. There is no certainty of safety, so you always need backups. A backup power supply is the best overall solution.

3. jceac

jceac Thread Starter

i was actually on my way to formatting the 500 gb hd - the reason for transferring its contents to the 1tb hd - and i read somewhere that the full format process takes long because it scans for bad sectors or something like that. is that enough?

how long will a scan take on a 1 tb drive? and will it fix errors if any are found?

edit: nm on last question. /f switch is to fix errors.

edit: i forgot to mention i have truecrypt on the 1 tb hd. do i run chkdsk on the drive before i mount it or after? do i use the drive letter before or after the mount?

4. jceac

jceac Thread Starter

what kind of symptoms will i see if the hds had file system corruption?

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

Empty space marked as used, files that are corrupted and won't open, future files becoming corrupted if stored in a bad cluster, etc.

I know nothing of TrueCrypt, but it probably needs to be inactivated before using chkdsk.

A full format will mark bad clusters so that they will not be used by Windows, but there is really no reason to suspect that the drive was physically damaged. Reformatting may not be needed.

chkdsk F: /f

or

chkdsk F: /r to recover data from bad clusters (which I doubt you have).

HD Tune will do a pretty good job of checking for bad clusters.

6. jceac

jceac Thread Starter

truecrypt is a file/drive encryption program. incidentally, truecrypt marks the whole disk space as used - as a security measure.

ok so just to clarify, bad clusters are from physical damage, which you dont think i have, and will be remedied by a full format but won't help with file system corruption?

to find and fix file system corruption, i need to run chksk on the hds?

i guess im just hesistant to run chkdsk since it might conflict with truecrypt's encryption if it tried to fix system files.

i turned the 1 tb drive on and everything looked normal. i tried to open some files and they opened no problem.

sorry i know next to nothing about hds.
    but thanks for the replies.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/763758

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice