1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

2 External Monitors connected to my Laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by friscoflash, Jun 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. friscoflash

friscoflash Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4700HQ CPU @ 2.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 8075 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600, -1984 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 381196 MB, Free - 316371 MB; D: Total - 550702 MB, Free - 550541 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., N550JV
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

I am trying to add 2 external HDMI monitors to my Asus N550JV laptop computer. I connected one monitor to the HDMI port. It works fine. The other monitor is connected to the Mini Display Port using a small by mini port cable with an HDMI connector on the other end to connect to the 2nd monitor. Monitor 2 works in the HDMI port by does not work with the mini port. When I connect both monitors at the same time, both go black. Is there a manual set up to make these work. I am a stock trader and want to have 3 separate monitors, including my laptop monitor, with each showing a different page to work from. Is it possible with my existing equipment?

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Two things to note: 1) test using only a single external monitor using the Display Port adapter. If neither monitor work on the Display Port, it's likely a faulty or incorrect adapter. 2) I highly doubt the laptop will support three screens. Most laptops cannot drive three screens. If you need a third screen, you will likely need to use a USB adapter.

There are numerous brands and models available. Choose based on your requirements. Here is the model that I use at work: http://www.siig.com/usb-2-0-to-vga-pro.html

3. friscoflash

Thanks for your comments, Oddba11. With one external monitor connected to the laptop HDMI port and the other external monitor connected to the laptop mini-port using a mini-port cable/HDMI adapter, neither monitor works. If you unplug one or the other, the monitors work as long as there is only one connected to the laptop. I thought maybe there might be a setting that could be turned on to make both work at the same time, but it looks like a no go.

4. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Then it likely only supports a single external monitor as noted above. That would be a video chipset limitation as it's not powerful enough to drive a resolution that large.

5. friscoflash

Thanks, Oddba11. Looks as if I need to purchase a tower with that will drive the monitors. I appreciate your responses.

This comment closes out this thread.

6. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

7. friscoflash

Thanks, Gulo Luseus, I will give it a try. Charts and Graphs are mostly what I will looking at.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1150139

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice