Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2 factor authentication

1K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  ozziebeanie 
#1 ·
Hi all

Having a bit of bother with this 2 factor Authentication business, I do not want to use it for anything other than a Facebook WORK page (not my personal Facebook page) I did have an authentication app linked to my Google Chrome of which is the main page I use when on the net

It worked last time I was setting up the work page but I had not been in it for ages, then when I attempted to go into my WORK Facebook page today it asked for the six digit code as it did last time (it’s the rules we have to have this) and none appeared, I cannot even remember where the app was and needless to say no six digit code appeared

Anyway I went in search for a code generator and went to download about 4 different ones I found and they said it was unavailable for this device and the 2 I downloaded on my phone want to scan a QR code, and cannot find any buttons to click that say generate a code.

I do not want to get an app that will add a two factor authentication to everything on my device as some will with the Windows one and several others – I will not be using this other account at work only voluntary monitoring it from home, my personal Facebook does not have this and i wont be its a pain

Does anyone have any ideas on what I am supposed to do, or can do, I am all for monitoring the work Facebook of which is why a second Facebook was created but I do not want it interfering with stuff on my home computer even though I will be using it on my home computer, I did think I would set it up on my laptop and just using that but it crapped out and to be honest I barely used it twice in the last year so do not have the motivation to fix it

Any pointers in the right direction would be much appreciated

Serena

See less See more
#5 ·
Thanks for that, my other Facebook account is linked to my work email but its not a business ID, but i belong to the departments Facebook page, (the only one my second ID belongs to) and will only be adding people if any that are also monitoring that page, so do not know if questions on a single ID will work when i click on that link but will give it a go, thank you Lunarlander

#7 ·
i am not getting anything about this 2 factor thing and not understanding it either and god knows where the first 2 factor thing i had on here went, as i was able to log into the work one from home before

#11 ·
Thanks lochlomonder, I downloaded that one and it wanted a six digit code for everything in windows i opened

#9 ·
Supposedly Facebook has its own code generator within the Facebook app but I have not seen it since the app was updated a while ago. I am suspecting that is what it’s asking.

since you said it’s a work page , I assume others have access to this page too?

#10 ·
Supposedly Facebook has its own code generator within the Facebook app but I have not seen it since the app was updated a while ago. I am suspecting that is what it's asking.

since you said it's a work page , I assume others have access to this page too?
We all do have access to the work Facebook page but we all have our own Facebook ID's with our work email. We do not need a code generator for the work page, only our ID's, I access Facebook via my Google Chrome on my desktop not a Facebook app like on my iPhone, the phone app I will never use for my work ID, i only use the Facebook app on my phone for my personal Facebook if i am not at home and do not have access to my PC.

Yes for the work ID I did turn on 2 factor authentication (as work requested) but if I do it via the Facebook web page as in using the Facebook authenticator on my desktop it is likely to do that for my personal ID and every other person who uses my PC on the odd occasion, of which I do not want to happen. At the moment it only asks for it if i use my work Facebook on my pc but at present can not get into it because i need that six digit code.

The windows authenticator one, if you use that it asks for an ID for every little thing you do including using a search engine etc etc. I do not mind if a authenticator is on my phone if I just click on it and get a code and enter it in to the Google Chrome web page of Facebook I am trying to log into, that would be good but I do not know if you can do that or which authenticator app to use if I can do that.

Because I do not work full time and while we are on lock down and a co-worker is a close contact to someone that has tested positive to covid, lucky i was away when that happend. I am not able to go into work even to do the other work i do there, so I am not at work to use the tech support team and when we do start monitoring the work page, I will not be logging in at work, only at home, even when I can return to work.

Serena

#12 ·
Thanks for answering lochlomonder No, tried that one and had to sign into everything with a code every single time, ended up getting rid of it

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.