2 Gang Double USB Plug Socket

conrail

Hi all,
looking to install a couple of 2 gang double USB plug sockets, looking for advice on what '+4.2A 2-outlet A & C USB chargers' means and what should I be looking out for?
reason for installation is that when grandkids come home from school, we have them until parents finish work, the first thing they do is take up the current sockets to charge their phones and tablets,
all help and advice appreciated

cwwozniak

Chuck
'+4.2A 2-outlet A & C USB chargers
The 4.2A part most likely means that the combined USB ports can output up to 4.2 Amps of current. This is more than adequate for charging two typical devices that support rapid charging.

The 2-outlet may refer to the number of USB outlets or the number of AC Mains outlets.

The A & C part means that it has both the older Type A USB socket and the newer Type C USB socket. No matter if the grandkids have older or newer charger cords, they will fit in one of the two sockets.

couple of 2 gang double USB plug sockets
I think you mean that you have a two-gang junction box that has two duplex outlets installed in it, for a total of four outlets. Please correct me if my assumption is incorrect.

Replacing outlets should be done by a licensed electrician, but can also be done as a home handyman project if they are familiar with and comfortable with working on house wiring and know what precautions to take.

EDIT: When selecting a combination duplex outlet / USB charger, note the position and orientation of the USB ports. Make sure there is clearance to access the USB ports when three-prong plugs are plugged into both outlets.

Last edited:

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I find it curious that the first comment says: "Doesn't charge MacBook."

cwwozniak

Chuck

conrail

thanks cwwozniak, son works for company, asked him to check, definitely only 2 usb ports, he will pass it on, not they probably care

Drabdr

Brad
If you’re in the US and are concerned with complying with code, if you replace the receptacle with receptacle/USB charge capability (which I recommend), make sure the 120vac receptacles have arc suppression.

Drabdr

Brad
The outlet extender John provided would be an excellent choice. Just don’t put heavy loads on the receptacles. :)

conrail

thank you drapdr, I am in the UK, thank you for your help and advice, I appreciate it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online