1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

2 Graphics card & 4 HDD's > 500 watt power supply?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sorrow, Oct 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sorrow

sorrow Thread Starter

Hey folks, I've run into a weird problem and insufficient power is the only theory that makes sense to me so far, but I wanted to ask on here and see if there is something I'm missing.

I've got a 500 Watt power supply, 3 HDD and on SDD running in my computer with a Core Two Duo 2.66Ghz processor. I recently upgraded my graphics card from an 8800GT to a GTS450 and then picked up a second monitor on craigslist. Initially I ran both monitors off of the GTS and took the 8800GT out all together, but then I decided to put the 8800 back in to power the secondary monitor, and that is where things got weird.

After attempting several different cabling designs I finally managed to get both cards working... but the fan on the 8800GT wasn't spinning. At the time I didn't have the drivers for the card installed but I don't see how that should make a difference? Right now I'm back to both monitors running on the GTS, which handles the load fine... but I would still prefer to spread it out among the two for gaming reasons.

Thanks in advance for any and all help & ideas!

Bonus question: Somewhere along the way my BIOS / CMOS forgot the day and time even though the battery is still fine, and it no longer boots into the OS without me manually selecting the SSD on the boot device list even though it still has boot flags set. Ideas?

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Two different cards will have no affect on gaming performance. The reason for multiple cards is to drive multiple monitors (ie: if a single card doesn't have enough ports). Most games default to the primary display and will not scale across multiple cards unless you are running SLI or Crossfire.

Power supply quality is more important than the size rating. On top of that, you need a power supply with multiple 12 volts rails and adequate amp rating on each rail to support the devices that you are connecting. With all of that said, a quality 500w unit may be adequate, anything less is likely under powered.

Try manually clearing the CMOS and/or restoring to factory defaults. Then making any adjustments needed for operation. Loss of time is typically a sign of a battery issue, aside from that it would be a motherboard or corrupt BIOS problem.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I doubt a 500 watt PSU is enough to run that setup. I don't see the need for two graphics cards to just run two monitors, a single card will do that fine.

4. sorrow

sorrow Thread Starter

Sad, I was hoping that wasn't the case but thanks for confirmation!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1020348

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice