1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

2 graphics cards??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by john88, Jul 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. john88

john88 Thread Starter

Hi, i've been searching high and low for help but cant find any!! But this forum looks promising so here it goes...

My Motherboard will only allow me to run dual screen (As in 1 main screen and another for extension) if i have 2 cards installed. So i bought a cheap Nvidia 7100GS card to go in along with my Nvidia 8800GTS (the Motherboard has 2 PCI-E slots). But when i installed the second card there was a conflict with the 2 drivers. I've read that there are ways to resolve this by having 2 drivers installed so each Card can run of each driver independently??

Please Reply, i need all the help i can get

Thanks

John

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Your Geforce 8800GTS should allow you to run dual monitors without having to add a second card, what issues were you having.

3. john88

john88 Thread Starter

Yes i know it should, but the motherboard wont allow it. it will only let me spread my desktop across 2 screens which makes finding the right resolution hard. There must be a driver that will allow the graphics cards to run separatly

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Well its not the motherboard that didn't allow you to have multiple resolutions, it was the driver and how it was configured. You can indeed have two seperate resolutions for each monitor and it can be done thru the NVidia Control Panel.

But if you want to use two card then you should uninstall the NVidia drivers, then install the drivers for the 7100 first then for the 8800. If you had got a second 8xxx series card one driver would have worked for both cards, but the 8xxx's use a different driver then the rest of the NVidia cards and that will cause issues gettign it to work.

5. john88

john88 Thread Starter

Hi

I tried as you sed but when i came to install the second driver, blue screen came up and it shut down....BUT, out of pure fluke when i reinstalled the 8800 the option to have independent desktops came up!!! I think when i bought the computer they didnt install the correct drivers at first as now in games etc it say the correct FULL name of the card (MSI 8800GTS etc)

Thanks for your help, ill be sure to come to your forum for help again! (y) :)

John

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Its likely the the driver on the CD and the one posted on the NVidia are different and account for the name change. Since the 8800 is a new card, the one's off the web likely offer more features and better performance. Not sure which drivers you did end up installing, likely the ones of the CD, these are the ones of the web: http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_158.22.html

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/590565

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice